• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4BTA-3.9 Cummins Engine

Xcavating

We have a Hyster roller with a 4BTA-3.9 Cummins Engine that is in need of overhaul or replacement.

I have been getting quotes on used engines and rebuilt engines. In my searches, I found two guys who have new long blocks at a pretty reasonable price, cheaper than a rebuilt. Problem is they are both a little vague on describing the engines.

I called Cummins and got some quotes from them and they said that Cummins never made a long block for the 3.9 so now I'm not sure what's the deal. I've heard that I need to be careful because Cummins made a lot of these engines with many different arrangements and often bolt holes, etc... won't line up from engine to engine. I guess these engines are "surplus"? my guess is that they came from some truck or machine manufacturer who ended up discontinuing using the engine in their lineup. Makes me wonder how old the engine is also..

The arrangement number for my engine is 595 (though Cummins insist that it should be a 594 when they crossed my serial number.

So what are your thoughts? Any experience with this engine would be helpful. You think I'm just better off rebuilding our existing engine? Block would need to be bored and sleeves installed if so...

Thanks for your help!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Cost to rebuild will be similar to exchange - it's the downtime that makes rebuilding more expensive.
One of my customers puchased a complete engine & I rebuilt it & then we swapped it over in a day. - still have his old one, pity we aren't a little closer :D

Attachments

• 4BTA-390 engine.jpg
    4BTA-390 engine.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,069

thabull

Occupation
owner of diesel injection repair shop & mobile rep
It always cheaper to keep her,tear it down,send all of it to machine shop,bore,service cyl head,hot tank everything,bolts too,get it back clean,let them get the kit and then build it your self /// then you know what u got! I have one in a 97 chevy k-3500 4 door, love it !

thabull

Occupation
owner of diesel injection repair shop & mobile rep
your self/ then keep a clean air filter,and good oil!