• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

480f brake issue

Halfbreedmedic

Hello all!
I searched for this info in the threads and couldn’t find it. Google has little to say about this problem as well.

I’m currently working on an old 480f. I’m the jack of all trades for a local landscaping company. I’m 90% sure this thing has had no preventative maintenance in the last 5 years at least. It came to me with no braking power. I’ve also been tasked with basically a full overhaul of this old machine too.

When I split the brake pedal, the left brakes work fine but I have no braking to right side. Master cylinders are fine, hydraulic fluid needs changing. Removed the floor board and cleaned the area around the housing and actuator so I can see what I’m doing. The brake actuators on both sides leak when brake pedals are pressed down. I purchased a repair kit from a nearby case dealer for the actuators. It came with seals and was way cheaper than buying new actuators (new ones were $1800 each). The actuators themselves look in good shape as far as I can tell.

1) could this be the main reason for no braking?
2) how do I disassemble the brake actuators so I can repair it?
3) anyone have a link for replacing the brake discs?

sorry for the longish post. Just trying to get as much info out there as possible.

Halfbreedmedic

Thanks for the listing. It’s definitely cheaper than what the dealer wanted. I’m gonna take it apart and try the rebuild kit first. I’m hoping stopping the leaks will
Solve most of the issue.

Halfbreedmedic

Got one side done in the time I had at work. Wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Might have to buy new actuators though.