• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

471 Detroit Diesel

petepilot

I know for sure that an 8v 92 open turbo end will remove fingers instantly.an old friend of mine somehow got two of his removed with the engine turning about 1800. am told he was tuning it up and slipped

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
ALWAYS keep the Emergency head on the blower on a restrart after working the engines. The 53 I had run away the E'flap was eroded in the pin retainer holes YEARS earlier and been INCONVENIENTLY discarded(AHEM, by me).

It is tempting to fire something up before all the safety gear is installed but that first start is the most important time to have the flap available, beats throwing various shop items through the engine until you find one that stops it....

I know for sure that an 8v 92 open turbo end will remove fingers instantly.an old friend of mine somehow got two of his removed with the engine turning about 1800. am told he was tuning it up and slipped

I have heard the turbo/fingers thing also. I have gotten my fingers sucked into an open intake once or twice as well but no moving parts.. What gets you is how once the suction takes hold it gets stronger pulling your hand in more forcefully and kind of feeds back on itself.