• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

471 Detroit Diesel

Ciggie

Thanks for the info, I was told the engine had a 353 in it originally and they rebuild this motor 4000 hrs ago approx and installed a 453 turbo.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I will answer more later I am busy working on a fix for the head...
Thanks
All
I would strongly suggest NOT doing anything with or about the head till you get deeper in to this engine or you may be pouring money down a hole that will be getting deeper every day!

I was told the engine had a 353 in it originally and they rebuild this motor 4000 hrs ago approx and installed a 453 turbo.

I can only guess that this is a poorly worded statement. Did you mean to say the machine(what ever it is) originally came with a 3-53 Detroit and when that engine failed for some reason someone decided to replace the 3-53 with a 4-53T engine?

So they installed an engine with 33% more displacement and added in a turbo on top of it? Does this application need that much extra power? I know every machine needs more power but one could question that you could be looking for more problems down the road if some other components are able to handle the extra power.

Ciggie

Yes it was poorly worded as I was rushing to reply to you. Your statement is correct about the engine swap. The background story as follows: The machine is a Clark 666B skidder built in 1968 from what the Vin # on the machine displays. The shop I purchased it from claims they had rebuilt this motor approximately 4000 hrs prior to me purchasing it. The machine ran perfectly for me i had put about 50hrs max on it. Then I had a bright idea of putting an inline ( lower rad hose heater) in the machine because the temperature in my location is between -15 and - 30 Celsius. I am from Canada Burrrrrrrr!!!!! It was hard to start in the cold even with a bit of starting fluid. After installing that inline heater I filled the rad with new 50/50 coolant. I let it idle for a while to make sure all the air was removed from the system and I was reving the motor every so often. The temp gauge didnt seem to come up but it was cold out so I didnt think much about it. After a while I took it for a drive and it overheated. I hope this brings you up to speed on my problem.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Little history on the 666 line. The 666B thru 666D series skidders typically had a 4-53 non turboed when new. There was also a 667 that had the 4-53. In the 666D there was a Cummins option. I have never seen or heard of a 666 with a 3-53 in the states. The smaller 653 skidders normally had the 3-53 engine. The tranny's were the bulletproof Clark transmissions in all of them and the rear ends had heavy planetary axles in all of them. I would not be to concerned about the extra horsepower of the turbo.

Tenwheeler

I know where a 4-53 non turbo low hours on overhaul is. We are a long way apart but that is what freight companies do. If you decide you need one let me know. I have no interest other than putting the two of you together for free. It was to replace a very old 4-71 and later found out it is a 4-53 and just will not work out.

kshansen

Occupation
I know where a 4-53 non turbo low hours on overhaul is. We are a long way apart but that is what freight companies do. If you decide you need one let me know. I have no interest other than putting the two of you together for free. It was to replace a very old 4-71 and later found out it is a 4-53 and just will not work out.

Might seem to be bit of a gamble but is price is right that could offset the shipping costs. The main thing I would want to be sure of if talking about buying a replacement engine is how it is configured.

As I said before Detroits are like a box of Legos. They can be configured in many different ways. Just some examples:
Detroit 5301.png Detroit 5302.png

And note this only shows the major parts, it does not even take in to account what type of governor, where the oil cooler is located and so on. It's not like pulling a Chevy 350 V-8 out of a 1972 half ton and slipping it into another 1972 half ton.

And don't trust the model numbers to be an accurate way to determine how the two engines are set up! Keep in mind you are dealing with an engine and machine that is 50 years old and no telling how many people have done what to it or the possible replacement engine in that half century!

Wish I could be more positive but just feel it is important to know as much as possible up front. I'm sure many here recall a recent thread on a Cat engine where part of the failure of a repair was, at least according to the dealer, caused by using the rocker arm assembly from an older engine on the cylinder head of a newer engine. Just because it is Cat Yellow or Detroit Alpine Green does not mean it is the same thing!

Vetech63

Every 53 Ive seen has been a N/A, so Ive never seen a turbo on one. The builds are different in a turbo engine. Is this really a turbo engine? ……...or is the blower being called a turbo?

Ciggie

I am going to see what I can do with what I have as it has to get out of my shop this weekend, if it works great, if not it will sit out side until spring, i only use it for my personal firewood. I am going to remove the two valves and Tig weld the cast iron block smooth it out and rebuild the engine and hope for the best.

kshansen

Occupation
Well best of luck and let us hear how it works out.

At the very least find some place on the water manifold and or thermostat to bleed off air to be sure it has a fighting chance to live.

How much wood do you burn that you need a Clark 666B skidder to haul it out of the woods?

Ciggie

Thanks and I will keep posting to let everyone know how things go... 100 cord a year... I live on 400 acres of hardwood bush.. these are my test piece tig welding cast.

Attachments

• 20190118_111430.jpg
    20190118_111430.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 20190118_111435.jpg
    20190118_111435.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 20190118_110029.jpg
    20190118_110029.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • 20190118_105214.jpg
    20190118_105214.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Thanks and I will keep posting to let everyone know how things go... 100 cord a year... I live on 400 acres of hardwood bush.. these are my test piece tig welding cast.

100 cords. You heating a big shop? And I thought I was bad using 30 to 40 cords. a winter I use a 666D grapple behind a old 411B Hydro-Axe to bring mine in. :eek::eek:

td25c

That sounds like our place .

Late January & burning wood and LP gas .

Local Co-Op propane driver asked if we were still drying corn ? Nope, just heating the old house LOL ! :D

partsandservice

As if you have not already gotten enough advice, it might be wise to address the radiator esp after the head gasket in bottle.

Ciggie

I got a new cap for the rad and I have to motor back to together and had it fire but need to bleed fuel lines and should be good to go , cross my fingers...

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There was a Head Repair service here in the states A GOOD one, called Chapin Cylinder Head, Chapin IL. May look them up see if they can handle Out Country shipping. They had a good warranty and repair service, used them for years but have not for quite some time.