• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

463clarke go wild

tumbles

I've recently bought a 463 Clarke bobcat when you go to start it it takes off backwards to the left or wherever it wants and there is no neutral . if its up on blocks wheels off the ground it runs normally with neutral ?? Any body have any idea what is the cause ? It also moves when the starter motor is turned over?

Last edited:

Bswwood

Check steering linkage to pintle arms that attach to the pumps. They have a centering spring and neutral adjusting bolts. Make sure the springs are not broke and the pintles are in good shape.

tumbles

what a great sight thanks for pointing out the pintle arms googled what they were came up with a great tutorial from willie 59 this sight 11 years ago brilliant

tumbles

ok repaired pentle arms got the machine running great but as soon as it warms up it goes crazy again .I put the machine on its backside while fighting with it and the left hand side drive is driving and the right side is stationary .is There an o ring or seal at fault if so where would it be .

Bswwood

Well that sure changes things. The description I gave you on the pintle linkage are a little different on the 463 then the 643 but it sounds like you figured it out. Sounds to me like you still have a linkage or pintle issue maybe a broke pump shaft pintle internal or external. From what you're describing I can't imagine a seal or an o-ring causing this. The pintle shaft runs straight through your drive pump and it's connected to the swash plate. Your swashplate sounds like it is moving on its own which like I said sounds like an internal or external part failure. Not sure why it does it when it warms up, a broken pintle shaft would be a constant problem not an intermittent one. Double check your linkage all the way down to your pump shafts and make sure there's no damage. If you're pintle lever is worn where it attaches to the pintle shaft it could cause symptoms like you were describing.

tumbles

ok thanks for the advice ive a suspicion the trouble is around there somewhere the person I bought the machine from said it was a condition that slowly got worse over time. the machine was not used too often in later years and has 5000 on the clock from new

Vetech63

There is also a key on your pintle arm shaft that keeps your arm from slipping on the shaft.