• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

45hp vs. 90hp trencher?

Garrik

I have a bunch of general purpose trenching to do at my ranch, laying 2-3" water lines and direct burial power distribution lines underground mostly. I will probably dig 2 miles of 6" trench in the next year. Probably don't need anything bigger than 6-8". 4-5' deep is plenty deep. My soil is fairly sandy loam, but with a fair number of hunks of granite ranging in size from a fist to bigger. I have a Case 580N to deal with the larger rocks.

It looks like a 45hp class trencher with a 5' boom, something like a Vermeer 4150A or 3550A or a Ditch Witch RT40 or RT45 can be had for around $6k near me (ads asking $7k are common).

A 90hp class trencher like a Vermeer 8020or 8550A is more like a $17,500 problem.

Not surprisingly, I am attracted to the smaller machine. Any thoughts to share before I go ahead?

Thanks!

Welder Dave

Doesn't sound like you need a 90 HP. Is there something around 60 HP with a 6' boom so you have a little extra capacity in case of hills, etc.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
How about a rental trencher on a high flow skid steer, maybe you could rent for a little and let someone else do the fixing. It just depends on the conditions. i did about 1 mile in a day but only 4 feet deep with high flow john Deere 326D Skidsteer. A Track machine would have been better. You need a machine with 0-100 percent creep to control how fast the auger goes into the dirt. Hope this helps. Was putting in video cable to a cabin.
Simon C