• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

450G John Deere dozer

buddie

I have a 450G John Deere dozer, engine T0404, IDt0450GH832762. Problem is that the operator let the machine run out of fuel and now will not start. Do I have to bleed the system, and if so, where do I bleed? How far does the pickup extend in the tank and does is have a fuel filter? Thanks for any help as I am rather new to heavy equipment. How about starting fluid to start?

Warm regards,
Ron

AndrewC

Hi, you'll have a fuel filter that looks like this http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Fuel-Filter-Element-RE508202.html It will have a plastic screw on the filter head open it with a flat blade screwdriver or with your fingers if you are strong enough. Then pump the fuel pump primer lever until all the fuel that comes out has no air in it. The primer looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/RE66153-New...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item5d48e306a2

You at that point give it a crank for 10 seconds, if it doesnt start you will need to crack all the high pressure lines at the injectors from the high pressure injection pump. Then crank it over until you get fuel with no air in it and then tighten them down. It should start then.

It has a fuel filter the one above and then a square glass one that is held down with two metal clips. The pick up is probably a couple inches higher than the bottom of the tank.

I wouldnt bother with starter fluid it shouldnt need it if it doesnt need it every other day to start.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Its a good idea to change the filter when you run them out, as the last bit of fuel can be rather nasty. Like andy mentioned, there is a bleeder atop the filter housing, the primer pump has the little lever, and then you will have to chase the air out of the high pressure lines. From start to finish, if you have done it before its about a 15 minute job as long as your not super persistant on running it out of fuel, and really completely run it dry

buddie

Its a good idea to change the filter when you run them out, as the last bit of fuel can be rather nasty. Like andy mentioned, there is a bleeder atop the filter housing, the primer pump has the little lever, and then you will have to chase the air out of the high pressure lines. From start to finish, if you have done it before its about a 15 minute job as long as your not super persistant on running it out of fuel, and really completely run it dry

Thanks for your info Stumpjumper!!!!