• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

416 Hoe Controls

ms0115

CAT 416 Backhoe
Serial # 4ZN19365
I need to change the controls around on the hoe. I have changed the linkages on JD before and was wondering if it could be done the same way? If so, does anyone know of where I could purchase a kit? The linkages are currently all straight. If this is not the proper way to do it, could someone tell me the procedure. Thanks.

AzIron

Well if its case controls cat doesnt support them any more cause they got sued an aftermarket does

Now for normal jd controls there is a lot of kitsch sitting in cats used parts inventory

But to switch from jd to excavator controls I think you need to swap hoses on the valve but it depends on the model

AzIron

I am pretty sure there was not a linkage kit to change that since it has to cross over control sections

But I am fairly certain all 4 valves are the same so you can just swap boom and dipper hoses

ms0115

I will be working on this project tomorrow. It is a linkage machine and the guy wants to go from JD ISO to a CAT SAE pattern. Not being an operator I am not sure what controls need to be swapped around. And have not found this information on line. Any help would be appreciated.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I struggle to remember. SAE, you control swing and bucket with the same controls as ISO. You need to exchange dipper to left hand, boom to right. Changes in hoses: two hoses have to move from present dipper to present boom. The two on present boom have to go to present dipper.

A SAE controlled machine has a higher relief setting on port relief for the boom than it does to the dipper

It might be that it is piped for priority. Pressure oil is supplied to one side of the valve bank, low pressure leaves the other side. Bucket & dipper get priority in flow, then boom & swing. Valves have feathering grooves in the spools to allow some oil to pass, but flow increases when priority functions end.

Newer Case hoes have a switch to choose pattern change.

AzIron

Cat controls to jd are boom and dipper reversed so swap the hoses cause to my knowledge cat didn't make a linkage kit to do this cause it was not phesible

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Valve sections might be different (flow ports & the like). Might be able to restack the valve bank.

If it were me, I'd be changing from ISO to SAE. To my mind it is intuitive to control the big stuff (the boom) with my left hand.
The fine motor stuff (dipper & bucket) right.
In less time than you can convert, this operator can learn SAE.

Last edited:

580bob

cat did make a kit to convert those it is some linkage i did some way back and changing hoses is not the right answer as the valves are different and you can hurt the machine as the secondary pressures are different

ms0115

This is the style controls on the machine.

Attachments

• 62C392FD-3D52-4235-B909-073CED6EC38B.jpeg
    62C392FD-3D52-4235-B909-073CED6EC38B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

ms0115

Thanks for the information on this machine.
Just got the last parts for the converting kit last week.
Put it together today work out great.