• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

400 big cam III oil leak on top end front driverside

DW006

I own a 84 359 400 big cam III, and I have a oil leak that is coming from rocker box area, I think it only leaks when your goin down the road.
I've had the truck in 2 shops this went no where, but they did get money lol

Tenwheeler

I own a 84 359 400 big cam III, and I have a oil leak that is coming from rocker box area, I think it only leaks when your goin down the road.
I've had the truck in 2 shops this went no where, but they did get money lol
I thank if you have it cleaned up, warmed up and take the fan belts off it will show up. Stick a shop rag in the blow by tube and run it at about 1200 RPM.
As mentioned rocker shaft o rings are common leakers with age. Always best to know what the leak is first.
Then if you have to pull a box do them all. Replace all the rocker shaft and fuel cross over o rings. Retorque all the head bolts. If one is broke or pops you can get them out now. All new gaskets and run the over head. Good to go!

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I thank if you have it cleaned up, warmed up and take the fan belts off it will show up. Stick a shop rag in the blow by tube and run it at about 1200 RPM.
As mentioned rocker shaft o rings are common leakers with age. Always best to know what the leak is first.
Then if you have to pull a box do them all. Replace all the rocker shaft and fuel cross over o rings. Retorque all the head bolts. If one is broke or pops you can get them out now. All new gaskets and run the over head. Good to go!
As old as this one is, I would agree that you are spot on with the recommended repairs, plus no matter what, I am sure it could us a tune up. Set the valves and injectors back to specs.

Tenwheeler

And because of it's age everybody and their brother has been in it at one time, mainly because it's
a 855. But people will do completes and inframes and never ever change the rocker shaft seals.
Same with cam bushings.
A man I worked with years ago came from a dealership. He said the two guys inframing Cummins would pull the whole water rail assembly off together and put it back on the same way. No new o-rings.
Numbered all the push tubes so they went back in the same place and did not adjust anything.
Just cannot make some stuff up and yes you never know what others have done.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Must be they got payed by the job and not the hour? Have to wonder if they even used a torque wrench on the head bolts and rod nuts, or just run them in with air wrench?

I knew a guy that used his impact gun as a torque wrench. He adjusted the torque by adjusting the air flow with the trigger. He swore it worked.o_O
Sounds like where I work at, I asked where is a torque wrench I got puzzled looks like I introduced a new word. This ain't going to last long.