1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

40 Years ago Mt. St. Helens

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by dirty4fun, May 18, 2020.

1. dirty4fun

dirty4fun Senior Member

Many loggers and others lost their lives when it blew the top off the mountain. Hard to believe it has been 40 years ago today that Mt. St. Helens erupted. Don't forget those who lost their lives 40 years ago, and were never found! The only bright spot is that it happened on Sunday when many were not working, or the loss of life would of been staggering!

2. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I seem to recall the number lost as being 57. I also seem to recall that most were campers that were told to stay out of the area by the volcano experts. A few were volcano experts that were camps on ridges across the river valley. I remember the state closing the area down weeks before and as time went on and visible things didn't happen, people started getting the "attitude" that experts were raising alarms for other reasons. A lot of stuff up there is getting grown over now and you don't get the full affect of how big the blast was. It is still a great experience to go see it if you ever get the chance.

Camshawn and dirty4fun like this.
  3. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

I have probably said this before . I was in Tacoma the week before this all happened was lots of talk about whether or not the mt. would go some were even betting , I left on Friday evening headed east. think I was in Colorado when I heard the news

camptramp likes this.
  4. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Yep some people just don't want to believe the scientists, if they say something and it does not happen on the exact time or day they think they are just making things up. Could draw some parallels to things these days!

donkey doctor and camptramp like this.
  5. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    I watched it firsthand as I was living in Morton when it blew. My dad lost two sides up there when that happened it was a hell of a mess for quite a few years afterwards. I still stand by the notion that if that mountain hadn't blown we would have still been logging old growth until probably 2000. That is what really kicked off the in my environmental push for the Northwest as we were just kind of a forgotten region until that brought the world's eyes on us.

John C. and dirty4fun like this.
  6. dieseldog5.9

dieseldog5.9 Senior Member

Funny, I didn't read the date of the first post of this thread, sent my father a message about saint helens anniversary, he responded back that it was on the 18th, which is when the post was made.

He was on Mt Olympus when Helens erupted, I was In a stroller in Port Angeles. Old Man memory check complete, he is fine, aparently he pays attention.

Hallback, John C. and dirty4fun like this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    I was living in Ellensburg at the time, I think I posted this before but it really looked just like a black curtain/wall of ash heading eastward. Then it went dark in no time.

John C. and Hallback like this.
  8. John C.

John C. Senior Member

The wife and I took a drive up Weyerhaeuser public highway as far as we could go yesterday to look at nature's progress of taking back what belong to her. I took a few photos to show that progress and I see there is plenty of commercial use of the assets in that area.
    The first photos show the Toutle River making new channels on the mud flow.

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg
    Note the clear cuts on the surrounding hills.

camptramp, dirty4fun and Hallback like this.
  9. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Here are a few shots of the mountain itself with a coat of snow. I guess there are also a couple of working glaciers now.
    IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg IMG_1295.jpg IMG_1295.jpg
    The last photo here shows the blast zone and the land slide. We got down to Goldwater lake but the vegetation has grown so much that you can't get a good photo of the surrounding area. There were also a couple of hundred or more people there trying to use the rest room so we didn't bother to stop.

camptramp, dirty4fun and Hallback like this.
  10. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Finally, here are a couple of photos of the commercial use of the noble fir trees that were planted in the area after the eruption. That part of the area was sold a few years back to a private individual.

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg
    If you look close at the trees you will see the top halves have been cut off and removed. The limbs are cutoff and used for making Christmas bows and then shipped all over the world. The company uses a feller buncher to cut them off and a forwarder to carry them to a landing area where they are loaded onto flatbed trucks and hauled away. The rest of the trees are left to grow more till they are cut later for more bows. The cut makes the limbs grow like crazy.

The last photo shows whee the trees are cut in rows. I don't for sure know why but suspect it might be for natural reseeding.
    IMG_1303.jpg

11. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    Kurt Erickson owns that. They are cut into rows for 360* sun to help the boughs grow bigger.

dirty4fun and Hank R like this.
  12. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

where did 40 yrs go.:(

Hallback likes this.
  13. dirty4fun

dirty4fun Senior Member

It's been almost 25 year since I drove through part of that. Sure has changed a lot. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Hallback likes this.