1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4 in 1 bucket on 555g crawler

Discussion in 'Track Loaders' started by Kellysherosfan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Kellysherosfan

Kellysherosfan New Member

I have a john deere 90 hp 555g crawler on a1000 acre cattle and timber farm in missouri..i was looking for a 4 in 1 mp bucket to replace the gen purpose bucket thats in good shape on it...i found a 4 in 1 multipurpose bucket only used as a demo in great shape with no wear.. it was bought by a guy and it has sat for 20 years and was never mounted and the man sold the larger 120 hp 655b
    Crawler.. ...concerns are cutting mounts and positioning for my smaller crawler and 2) it weighs 1000 pounds more than a mp bucket made for the 555g.........3500 lbs verses 2500lbs...any words of wisdom? Thanks

2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

I'd look for the proper bucket. A 655B and a 555G are entirely different animals. 1000lbs. heavier bucket weight and also that much more capacity not to mention it will be harder to load an oversize bucket with a lighter machine. If you do get it loaded you need to worry about tipping forward. A 655B is about 11,000lbs. heavier than 555G.

3. JimInOz

JimInOz Senior Member

Apart from size/weight issues....I think there are Geometry issues to consider ,when mounting a (non original) 4in1 to any machine.
    A 4in1 adds much versatility to your machine.I hope you find one.

4. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    The weight alone will make that machine handle so much different. When they’re nose heavy and up on the idlers they suck!! Ask DMiller about the one that used to be on his Allis!

The right bucket is handy. Would building a grapple to add on the existing bucket help? Endless possibilities if you can cut and weld.

5. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

I was thinking about dmiller's bucket. I wonder if it wouldn't be a better fit size wise, than what he's looking at. I don't think he's using his anymore. If he's got to weld lugs on anyways.....

6. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    I think he scrapped it and I’m pretty sure it would have been too big. It was insanely heavy and overbuilt.

7. Welder Dave

A 555G is a nice reasonably modern machine. I think a slightly smaller bucket would be better than an overly large bucket. I have a 4 in 1 on my 931B and it is light in the back with a full bucket of clay when I have the hoe off. Without the hoe it would normally have extra counterweight. A bucket off an older 555 or maybe a 941 Cat would be a better option. Maybe even a 450C or 455 JD bucket.

8. Kellysherosfan

I really appreciate the quality input from all responses...its really nice.. thank you...with that said. I have a really nice 655 b bucket for sale...its really nice..never used only demonstrated....im looking for a 555g bucket that is not junk...i found one and it was scrap.... thanks again

9. Coy Lancaster

Coy Lancaster Senior Member

service tech
    Check with Schaefer Enterprises ph#(800)626-6046 they may have what you need.

Kellysherosfan likes this.
  10. Kellysherosfan

I called them...they are looking....thanks

Coy Lancaster likes this.
  11. Kellysherosfan

I found a bucket off of a 455....does a 555g take the same bucket as a 455 john deere...the seller thinks its the same...does anyone know....thanks again....you all are great and very helpful

12. Coy Lancaster

Coy Lancaster Senior Member

service tech
    Check your local dealer they should be able to tell you.

13. Welder Dave

The 455 bucket is a little smaller, 1.3yd compared to 1.5yd and 77.7" wide. 555 bucket is 84.9" wide. 555 is listed as 77" across tracks so could work but mounts will likely have to be changed.

Coy Lancaster likes this.
  14. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

I would suggest that you measure the outer track width of your machine. A bucket that is narrower than the tracks may be undesirable. I can't imagine how you could dig or grade with that situation.