• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4 cyl. flathead missing on #2

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
switched wires, new cap, gapped & filed points, new plugs, cleaned carb, governor ok (1947 hobart welder) compression test about 95 on all 4, firing order 1342 on a '47 jeep i think.......... i switched wires, it was much worse!
WHAT'S LEFT? it continues to mis-fire on #2 cyl.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Intake manifold leaking?If the wiring was wrong it would misfire on more than one cylinder.Maybe a camshaft lobe is worn and that would not show up during a compression test.Ron G

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
what's really perplexing is after you do something, pretty much anything........ switch wires, clean inside of cap, adjust points then start it, it'll run like a champ for about 30 secounds then it'll start missing again on #2. I thot......... mabey it only gets enough gas for a short time then starts running short of gas but danged if I can figure this out yet. today i'll find new plug wires for it. I will do the spray test with ether around the intake manifold but the fact it will run, tho for a short time only, on all 4 ..............??

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Might be a weak/broken valve spring or sticking valve??? did the problem start all of the sudden or was it gradual? how did the plugs look before you changed them? all the same?