• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4-53 Detroit quit screaming

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I am going to do as Ken said and pull the oil filter and cut it open. I am wondering if there could have been some ice from condensation that plugged and broke the oil pump drive when I revved it up to go. A local old time logger here said that happened to him on a machine that had sat for a few months. I would think that would not be the case after an hour of heat and then ran for 30 minutes, but?

I could not click on the "LIKE" button for this as is that is what happened it is not good.

Not sure what the access is for dropping the pan but that might be one way to go.

One problem I see with my suggestion of examining the filter is that if ice killed the pump there would not be any flow of oil to push metal particles into the filter. Might find something by dropping oil if it is warm enough to melt any possible ice.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this one.
Same here, unless you think fuzzy is referring to the fuzzy pieces of bearing material that might be found in oil pan.

Old Iron Habit, Sorry for making a joke at your expense but sometimes that is the only way to deal with a bad situation.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I could not click on the "LIKE" button for this as is that is what happened it is not good.

Not sure what the access is for dropping the pan but that might be one way to go.

One problem I see with my suggestion of examining the filter is that if ice killed the pump there would not be any flow of oil to push metal particles into the filter. Might find something by dropping oil if it is warm enough to melt any possible ice.

Finally got of the lake for a few days. I love that Northwest Inlet. Like stepping back 50 years in time. Population 70 and real old fashioned people like on here.

There is no dropping the oil pan without pulling the engine on this one. The oil pan being about 3 inches of the welded belly enclosure has a hydraulic hose on the drain running out from under it just to get at it to change oil. Its not a real bad job to pull the engine with the torque convertor attached. It would be nothing to it if the hands still worked like they should. The transmission is driven by a drive shaft so just a few hoses to the charge pump, etc. and such to remove. Waiting for decent weather. It seems this winter does not want to get out of January.
:DGot a DNR report today that they want the fish houses off the ice by the 3rd of July so they don't catch fire from the 4th of July fireworks.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
IMG_20190213_175201391_BURST001.jpg 20190204_173014.jpg Should have added this picture. Debby got three of these that were over the slot on her birthday. All were released. It was not my birthday. I got stuck with a medium Northern Pike also released. Don't laugh at my dress. I'm always comfortable after a couple days in the fish house. Dang pesky northern had three lines tangled.

20190204_173014.jpg

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Have you had a chance to look at your dead skidder yet? I suppose the ice is still 5 ft thick up there.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
HEY OIH, I'M TALKING TO YOU!!! :eek::eek::eek: LOL

I wanted to make sure that it was thawed out if it had ice in it. Sorry to keep you (and me) hanging. Actually we have been dealing with a bunch of family issues. First we went to Virginia and buried my BIL in Arlington National Cemetery. While we were there my last uncle left alive passed here at home. The day after his funeral my next younger brother went down and coded a couple times. He ended up in a induced coma for 10 days in ICU with lungs full of infection. He is still in the hospital with a rickety path ahead but he is awake and talking, bitching about all the tubes and wires.
All that aside I went over to the skidder this forenoon to see what I could find. I pulled the plug out of the oil drain hose and cracked the ball valve to bleed some oil out. Out came at least a cup of pure water before the oil started trickling out. After pondering a while I hit the starter and cranked it for 30 seconds with the engine fuel kill knob pulled. I thought the oil pressure gauge started tweaking a bit so I pushed the kill I knob in. It started up and within 2 seconds the oil pressure went to 55 lbs at idle. I let it run for about 5 minutes and the oil pressure was still at a healthy 50 idling. Could I be freaking lucky???? I guess only time will tell. I only ran it the five minutes. I am going to change oil before I run it any more and then I will push the brush around on the landing before I take it out of easy towing range. We had a late fall 4" rain storm with 60 MPH winds. I am wondering if it blew into the horizontal exhaust thru the muffler and ran down onto the engine. It never has before, but I can not think of any other way for that much water to get in the engine. It was real clear and no antifreeze in it. Maybe a chunk of ice caught somewhere or stopped oil flow thru the pump? Thoughts?

Last edited:

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Geez sorry to hear about the family issues. My dad 83, says the worst part about getting old is watching friends and family slip away. Hopefully brighter days are just around the corner.
Sounds like maybe you got lucky with the skidder. Could have been ice around the oil pick up restricting it. Time will tell when you get to use it.
Try to break something else so Junkyard and I have an excuse for a road trip. LOL

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Geez sorry to hear about the family issues. My dad 83, says the worst part about getting old is watching friends and family slip away. Hopefully brighter days are just around the corner.
Sounds like maybe you got lucky with the skidder. Could have been ice around the oil pick up restricting it. Time will tell when you get to use it.
Try to break something else so Junkyard and I have an excuse.

I went over yesterday and changed oil in the 4-53. It took a few days to get the straight 30 weight oil. The parts store's warehouse does not stock it anymore but they found a 5 gallon bucket at another store. After the oil change I fired it up and it seems fine so far. Oil pressure is as normal. After warmup I pushed the tops into a pile and made some nice ruts in the wet field to drag out later. I also drug out 2 jags of wood that was still laying there. The oil pressure showed as it always did. 45 lbs. when running faster than an idle and dropping to the edge of the red at idle. The engine sounds good and seems to have normal power. I found nothing in the changed oil filter when I snipped it open so am going to run it and see what happens. I sure was not looking forward to standing on my head to pull that engine. I still can not believe that I could be this lucky but time will tell. Think I am going to put a rain cap on the horizontal exhaust so it hangs own over the pipe when the engine is shut off. I have lots of projects so you and Junkyard can come anytime. Heck, you can pick and choose what project you would like. The fly in should be coming up soon if you can fly over for that. I can pick you up at the airport.

Last edited: