• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4.5 Cummins Rebuild

Old Doug

What should it cost to rebuild a 4.5 cummins it needs board they got it hot and cracked the head scoreing 2 cylinders? I have been checking around every thing it will need head, parts and machine work around $6000.00 then labor to put it together.

Wes J

Your cracked head can be furnace welded. That's what they do with the reman heads anyway.

Bore it and slam it back together. I'd say $750 to $1500 to fix up the head. Depends how deep you go with guides, seats, injector cups, etc. Deck the block and bore the cylinders $500-750. Used to be $100 a hole, but not so much anymore. $100 to polish the crank. $150 to size the wrist pins and check the rods for twist. So, more like $2,000-$2,500 at the machine shop.

I don't know what the rebuild kit will cost, but I bet $1,500 would get it done.

Add 40 hours for the rebuild at say $3,500. So you're all in at 7,500.

Internet suggests a reman can be had in the $9,000 range. But, that always assumes a good core, which you don't really have since the head is cracked. So you could probably add another $1,500.

Old Doug

The only place that has parts for this is cummins and becauce it has oversize pistons 030 they are alot higher several hundred. The head is around 2500.00.If they wouldnt have got it hot 2000.00 would have done it. Have you ever had one of these heads fixed the engine shop said they were not good fixes?

Wes J

Furnace welding is a standard procedure for fixing cracked heads. It's a tricky process though, so you may have to hunt for someone who can do it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Try> Reliance for parts.{ reman head & gasket kits}..
Did Cummins quote u NEW or Reman.. U have to specify, otherwise your getting NEW pricing..

Old Doug

Try> Reliance for parts.{ reman head & gasket kits}..
Did Cummins quote u NEW or Reman.. U have to specify, otherwise your getting NEW pricing..
Its new from what i have been told there are a shortage of parts for the 4.5. I talked about haveing the head fixed with the machine shop and he said no in the past he sent other heads off for me or told me were i could take them. I am afraid that i will get to a point were i have several grand in this and cant find a part i need.The machine shops parts guy ask if i wanted to get the parts throught them great but after 3 days he couldnt come up with them. I called some other places but they didnt call back.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I used to figure ten hours a hole minimum to rebuild an engine out of frame complete. What it used to come down to was about 50 to 60 hours for a four cylinder including remove and install in the machine. A big bore 6 cylinder most times for block and machine work figured around a hundred hours. I've haven't heard of a 4.5 Cummins before but I've been away from that game for a long time. Is it akin to the B series engines?

Wes J

It's the QSB series, so it would be sort of the 4 cylinder version of the 6.7 they are using in pickups. Basically the same as the 3.9 to the 5.9.

StanRUS

Furnace welding is a standard procedure for fixing cracked heads. It's a tricky process though, so you may have to hunt for someone who can do it.
Furnace weld heads on emissions engines? Valve seat height, width, valve protrusion, head minimum thickness, specified surface finish (varies from OEMs).
OEMs Reman products vary as per quality and reliability. I purchase new OEM since mid-80s.

Wes J

Good for you I guess.

All of the issues you describe can be remedied by a good machine shop for much less than the cost of new from the OEM. That's why machine shops exist.

I'm sure Cummins would be happy to sell these guys a whole new engine. But that's not what they asked for.

Volvomad

Just wondering what warrenty would get with an exchange engine ? Should the cost of a fuel system over haul be factored in to the maths ?

Old Doug

Just wondering what warrenty would get with an exchange engine ? Should the cost of a fuel system over haul be factored in to the maths ?
I dont know for sure but one resone i dont like reman is i have seen alot of them built out of junk. Alot of exchange engines are built out of cores that had problems not all but some are and until you have a problem you dont know.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The big problem as I see it with any Reman component, and not just engines, is that the buyer has no idea about the previous history of the major parts of the component that would normally be reused during the Reman process. You would hope that when it was disassembled the rebuilder would have the quality criteria in place to reject it and fit a new part.

I'm not sure about other manufacturers but I know that a certain percentage of Cat Reman components are actually new because of the reject rate in cores that were shipped back for rebuild that were found to be beyond rebuild limits.

John C.

Occupation
The issue I see with rebuilt exchanges is the assembly line methods for doing them. Core comes into the system and person 1 takes it out of the box. Person 2 hauls it over to a washer and then to dismantling. Person 3 does a quick examine and pulls the external components. Engine moves down the line to person 4 who pulls the manifolds, head and fuel system. Person 5 now pulls the front cover, oil pan and bell housing. Person 6 pulls the pistons, rods, gear train, cam followers and cam and sends them off to specialty people. Block now goes to speciality for inspection, analysis and machine work. This is just tear down. It goes back together the same way and if you have one person on the line having a Monday, Friday or personal problems and is not on his game, the whole process has failed at your expense.

The other issue that I've seen and experienced it the quality of all the people in that process. Most rebuilding done now days was shipped out of the original manufacturer's states and put in right to work states or sent to Mexico.

AzIron

The other issue that I've seen and experienced it the quality of all the people in that process. Most rebuilding done now days was shipped out of the original manufacturer's states and put in right to work states or sent to Mexico.

Are you saying that because it's not done in the original factory there is a chance of lesser quality or that in a right to work state the quality wont be the same

John C.

Occupation
I'm saying that the build expertise that came from the original manufacturing labor pool is not the same in the right to work states or Mexico. Quality control in a lot of those rebuilt components is not up to many of the original manufacturer's standards.

StanRUS

I'm saying that the build expertise that came from the original manufacturing labor pool is not the same in the right to work states or Mexico. Quality control in a lot of those rebuilt components is not up to many of the original manufacturer's standards.
1998-2000 customers' 855 Recon engines, quality-control issues like metal shavings from counter boring (chips about 1/4" long) found in bottom of oil pan @ 1st oil change. Cylinder blocks line-bored moving crankshaft centerline upwards causing timing gear breakage directly above the keyway. Cam follow boxes, used oil to pressurize-flush and clean; found copper-bronze chips from assembly. Cyl-heads: Shimmed valve springs, cross head guide height wrong (causes bent push rods). Crappy workmanship-quality control.

Appears Cummins is trying to improve quality-control. That is a must do with today's higher tech engines the require 'closer tolerance component parts'.
September 2017
Cummins announced the official opening of a large-scale research and development center in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, with 25,000 square feet of high-tech laboratories and office space, all part of a larger plan to build technical capabilities in remanufacturing.
Circa 2011 CMD-SPL manufactured new crankshafts-75,000 per year, 12,000 reconditioned.