• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

385C's

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I love this machine... anyone know how its productivity compares to that of its competitors?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Nice,

I have a few of those on my computer as well:thumbsup

question though... do you have some secret way that you downsize the photos so fast... It seems to take me forever to get them small enough to be attached here... Any hints?

-Jim

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
We have one we bought it for this one job and from what I hear we going to be selling it and I have even seen it yet.:mad: :crying

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
JimBruce42 said:
Nice,

I have a few of those on my computer as well:thumbsup

question though... do you have some secret way that you downsize the photos so fast... It seems to take me forever to get them small enough to be attached here... Any hints?

-Jim

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

If you have Windows Xp, then download the image resizer near the bottom right of the page linked above. After it's installed all you do is select the pictures then right click and there's an option to resize. It creates a copy of them so your originals are untouched. If you make them 640x480 they will upload quickly and easily on this site.

9420pullpan

to downsize pics open the pic into paint then go under the image tab the stretch and skew. the adjust the stretch to like 50% depends on pic.......

Wolf

Balls

Does this machine have balls or what ? Anyone ever try one for demoliton?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
:eek: For anybody starting up a new line of equipment, just paint it like the Cat above and I will take 2. One to put in the front yard and one to trailer around town to pick up chicks. Thats an awesome looking machine.

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
A komatsu PC800 has more reach than that machine. I'm not to happy with Cat so I'm moving over to Komatsu

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I'll take the Cat, too...

tho pullpan -- I'm a member at the French forum where some of those images (orange 385C with double stick cylinders) were posted.

Fun place!

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
A komatsu PC800 has more reach than that machine. I'm not to happy with Cat so I'm moving over to Komatsu

That's a fairly vague reasoning. Would you care to elaborate? I would imagine the amount of boom and stick options with a 385C would be fairly diverse, I'd hesitate to conclude that the only reason you'd switch to Komatsu is for reach issues.

rino1494

I honestly don't see any benefits to owning these machines, even in quarry's. You can do just at much with (2) 345's at a cheaper cost. Same thing with D11's. You can move more material with a (2) D9's at the same cost as a D11.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
One point might be that you are only paying one operator to run the 385 or D11 but 2 operators for the 345s or D9s. Employee wages and benefits build up pretty quick to add to costs.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
In the argument of 1 large machine vs. 2 smaller machines, one must also consider the fact that the larger machines are built to handle the conditions they work in. Sure (2) 345's could probably keep up with 1 385, but that 385 is built for quarry specific work. It may never have any structural problems whatsoever, only preventative maintenance whereas a couple 345's could develop premature wear in the boom, stick, and bucket linkages due to the extreme service they've been thrown into, thus reducing their service life. Unscheduled repairs get expensive very fast, as well as every aspect of maintaining 2 machines, transporting 2 machines, insuring 2 machines, and fuel consumption of 2 machines. If there wasn't a market for these big pieces, Cat wouldn't be making them.

CAT245ME

Occupation
Cat 972H Loader operator
Make mine Cat as well, funny thing, the company I work for wont by komatsu because they feel its junk, not sure why they feel this way but most of the equipment I've seen at work was caterpillar.