• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

380-5 komatsu loader

Lewis12

Anyone know how to troubleshoot the 15SALH service code. Reason is because when you put the shift lever in forward the drive shaft makes a clunk noise then goes away. It dosent do it in reverse just forward. And it dosent do it while traveling just when in forward before any take off. The noise is like where the parking brake area is. I checked the wires to the forward clutch valve and looked good but not sure how to tell if the valve itself is causing the issue?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
How old and how many hours on the machine? The clunking sounds you are describing remind me a lot of the bolsters on the rear axle being loose. Sometimes when sitting in the seat and looking back at the rear tire, you can see it bump forward when you shift into gear.

Lewis12

This like a 1995 model wa380-5. I tighten the bolts that were loose but still did the clank noise. The code 15SALH is for the forward clutch valve. The fill switch wire on the forward clutch valve does ground out when put in forward but cuts out for a split second then comes back on. When compared to the reverse clutch valve that fill switch wire grounds out when put in reverse and doesn’t cut out like the forward clutch valve. Also the reverse doesn’t clank and the clank comes from the output shaft behind parking brake. Is a symptom of a bad forward clutch valve a clank?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Sounds like you figured out what is going on. I don't know what it will take to fix that kind of problem.