• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

345bl negative flow right valve bank.....

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Hey hef got a good one machine is a basket case i diagnosed weak pumps last year upper pump was like 2k psi lower maybe 3k psi right track and bucket ( upper pump useless )they had another mechanic change o rings between main control valve half's recently. they had issues and had like 5 pilot lines crossed.... Sorted that out they ran machine Lil bit but said its time for pumps..... I put used Dyno tested pumps new oil and filters and main relief... The replacement pumps both build 5k psi when booming up and it counter rotates well when tracking seems like decent pumps. BUT the bucket and right track are totally destroying pump by way of less than 150 psi negative flow to upper pump as soon as pull a function . Lower pump left valve bank stays up about 500 psi under same single track function..... Any thoughts welcome

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Ok i thought I was getting some where but i cap the negative flow line on upper pump regulator and it's the same slow and only builds 1200 psi bump and onther function comes right to life and builds 5k psi ?

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Well if both pumps are building about 5k psi at some point that's a good sign.

Cat made 8 variations of a 345B L. I'd love to look at a schematic. For that I need a s/n... otherwise I need to check all 8 to give reliable information.

The replacement pumps both build 5k psi when booming up and it counter rotates well when tracking seems like decent pumps.
So as it sits right now what is the machine not doing properly (from an operators perspective)?

BUT the bucket and right track are totally destroying pump by way of less than 150 psi negative flow to upper pump as soon as pull a function
Where are you taking these pressure readings from?

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Ags2426
Symptoms are bucket and right track slow stalling at 1200 psi ish i was thinking almost totally neutral pump swash angle....
If you bump any other function it comes right to life and will build relief pressure taking pressure on pump ports thanks for looking into it

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Machine will counter rotate strong and track up hill good the pumps are able to work. Weird part is it's exactly the same if i cap negative flow line to regulator......

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Have you gauged the pressure to the pump controllers? Could it be you've got a corrupt signal from the MCV? Bucket and track are single pump functions. That makes sense. You could have one pumps signal doing double duty by stroking the second pump by being siphoned off a left stick function that demands 2 pump flow. I would swap signal lines first, see what if anything changes

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
BTW, i have no intimate knowledge on Caterpillar equipment. I'm speaking from a general point of view. Serial numbers will be required for the Cat guys to supply the correct schematics and pictures always seem to speak much better than words. That way we are all on the same page.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Sounds like you already know this, but a zero negative flow signal to the pump regulator (on the side of the pump) means pump should go to max displacement.

The pump regulators both receive a common signal (which I think is #40, but not entirely sure) from the Proportional Reducing Valve (PRV) in the pilot manifold. So if at least one pump works we can rule that out. Now it's just a question of whether something is going on within the pump regulators themselves or the negative pressure signals not being correct.

The upper and lower pump regulators both receive their own negative flow signals from each side of the main control valve (#11 & #42). As funwithfuel suggested, I think we need to swap these and look for a change.

upload_2022-4-24_11-12-22.png

If there is a change, well... each negative flow signal has it's own relief in the main control valve.

Come to think of it, you said you found five pilot lines routed incorrectly a while back. Sure these neg flow signal hoses are in their correct spots?...

upload_2022-4-24_13-15-20.png

I could be wrong but shouldn't #7 & #9 match up to #11 & #42 above? Think it's worth swapping them anyway to see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited:

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Thanks for all the input should get back to machine later in week they are running it say it's running pretty good......
I did check routing of negative flow line and it's in the right ports. As far as other pressures I'm go to start from scratch and record findings I'll get an update when i know more thanks again