• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3406B Running hot?

Keith Merrell

I have a 1986 Freightliner 10 wheel dump truck with a Cat 3406B and 13 speed transmission. I pulled my 20 ton tag trailer up a 6% grade today empty, and it was about 90 degrees outside. I was in 8 low doing 900 on the pyro. Towards the top of the hill, I noticed my water temperature was at 208 or so. (It normally runs about 185-190 when idling or on flat ground) so I backed it down some to keep the temperature from rising any more. I do not have an air fan hub on this truck, just a thermal one. First off, is this normal, second what should I look at first? Thanks in advance, this is my first real truck and I don't know much about them.
Keith

Truck Shop

When was the last time the core was pressure washed? If it has A/C and Air Charge cooler over time
the core will clog with fine dust. Grain trucks I use to work on would need cleaned twice a year
sometimes. That viscus fan may not be pulling enough air also.

Keith Merrell

When was the last time the core was pressure washed? If it has A/C and Air Charge cooler over time
the core will clog with fine dust. Grain trucks I use to work on would need cleaned twice a year
sometimes. That viscus fan may not be pulling enough air also.
I made sure the outside of the radiator was clean, is that what you mean? I don't know any of the history on the truck.

Delmer

NO, the outside can look clean, you can't see the whole outside if there's other coolers in the way, and then you'd have to shine a light from the other side and look through to see how dirty the fins are. One way to check, is to rinse with a garden hose, then spray on some detergent, keep rinsing and repeating. It will run clean for a bit, then you'll hit a dirty spot, and you know it's dirty.

Sounds like the clutch though, if it stays cool enough when moving, but overheats going up a grade.

skyking1

^good stuff Delmer. I ran a 977 raking up roots on a golf course job, very dusty and they blew that out every week or it would climb on up there. I too think it is the fan but a clean rad and CAC would not hurt.

suladas

That seems like a high temp for it sitting. Unless my gauge is off mine sits at 170 idling and normal driving if it's not working too hard. I do find on the warmer days like above 85 if it's really working the fan can't keep it cool if pulling up a grade with my 210 on but I am at about 90,000lbs and have to take it easy, seen as high as about 205. I just chalked it up to being older and cooling system not as good as newer stuff, below about 85 it will keep it cool no problem.

Truck Shop

To properly clean a radiator core externally, A/C denser and air charge cooler has to be removed. And
carefully using a pressure washer {not to close} start at front side and doing your best from back side.
Air charge cooler can be washed as well as A/C denser.

Normally on a viscus fan hub if it's leaking fluid-dust/oil will collect on the front side, check with mirror.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Hi after you have checked all of the above.check to see if the water pump impeller is not turning on the shaft.the impeller is a taper fit on the shaft and if not fitted correctly can come loose.
Also there were a batch of water pumps that had a plastic type impeller bonded to a steel hub, when hot the impeller would spin on the hub
Mark

Keith Merrell

Removed fan clutch. Should I replace with a Horton air fan clutch? Also I am assuming this flange is part of the clutch itself as there are no fasteners holding it on.

Attachments

• B2BAED04-3B65-461A-978D-D5162206CA21.jpeg
    B2BAED04-3B65-461A-978D-D5162206CA21.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • B25B357F-F68B-4FFF-8C7D-102A35D7D221.jpeg
    B25B357F-F68B-4FFF-8C7D-102A35D7D221.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30

Keith Merrell

Could I set up the Horton just to be on / off manually? With no sending unit, just the new clutch hub and a cab switch and small solenoid and an air line? And make sure the right nut is behind the wheel?

Truck Shop

You could yes but does this rig have working A/C? I have known a few that have done that and wished
they had not later on. Only takes one time on a hot day.

Truck Shop

Well no problem there with a A/C pressure switch. I can't tell you what to do but if it was me I would
wire it up for automatic and manual over ride.