• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3406A liners

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Perfect. The old ones took a good 5-6 ton to remove. Was a little concerned when the new ones went in like nothing.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I assume the liner is held tight and in place by the lower seals/filler band and on top by the crush due to liner protrusion?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Awesome! Just wanted to be sure it was all good before I put the liner seals on and drop the pistons in.

Thanks ya'll. Merry Christmas!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Lube the liner seals with soap or something non-oily. Soak the filler band in engine oil, fit it to the liner and install the liner immediately. Clamp the liner down because the filler band will begin to expand.
And that, boys & girls, is why it took 5-6 tons to press the old ones out where the replacements simply drop in. You won't move them by hand once the filler band has expanded.

Cmark pretty much quoted the Service Manual word for word ........... "Put liquid soap on the O-ring seals and on the cylinder bores. Put filler band (2) in SAE 30W oil. Then immediately install the filler band on the cylinder liner and immediately install the cylinder liner in the cylinder block with tooling (C) before expansion of the band."

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Thanks again guys.

I've read the procedure a few times. I haven't done an engine rebuild before so just didn't know if it was normal for the liners to just drop in by hand. I had no idea that the filler band expanded and put that much force on the liner.

Truck Shop

And years of contaminants collecting on the seals and band (on Cummins it's called a crevice seal}. But one thing if your installing complete Cat piston liner packs {remove the yellow liner plug/cover
and carefully pull the rod and piston assembly down to where you can see the wrist pin and check that the snap ring that retains the wrist pin is in it's bore-fully locked} I always check those because
the shop I was working in years ago that item wasn't checked on a B model inframe-wrist pin slid into cylinder wall-it had 30 minutes run time. Cummins I use vegtable oil, Cat I use Sil Glyde on the
bottom seals and bottom bore and oil on filler band.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Here's the project. Turning a W900A daycab into an RV hauler.View attachment 207428
92U 3406, you really need to clean that block up better I think I see a fingerprint between those two studs sticking out the front!

And tell me you are going to touch up those scratches circled in red:
3406.jpg

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Lol yep it'll be getting repainted once assembled. Just wanted to get the block covered before bolting all the accessories onto it. Kinda hard to get paint behind the fuel pump and compressor lol.

Cmark

And that, boys & girls, is why it took 5-6 tons to press the old ones out where the replacements simply drop in. You won't move them by hand once the filler band has expanded.

Cmark pretty much quoted the Service Manual word for word ........... "Put liquid soap on the O-ring seals and on the cylinder bores. Put filler band (2) in SAE 30W oil. Then immediately install the filler band on the cylinder liner and immediately install the cylinder liner in the cylinder block with tooling (C) before expansion of the band."

Lord alone knows how many engines I've rebuilt over the years, but I would say that well over half of them have been 3400 series.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
0.004" across the board. I found a bad spot on the spacer plate I missed during inspection after I checked. Putting assembly on hold until I get a new one. Then will re-check again with the new plate on.