1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

329 Traveling Question

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Justin98, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Justin98

Justin98 Member

CAT 329E - Excavator
    Serial # - CAT0329ETPLW00668
    Operator states that when operating the machine and the tracks get in a bind; One track will not pull as hard as the other. Checked monitor for codes. Found nothing related to the travel issues. I'm assuming the travel motor is going out on that side. Any advice or items to check. Thanks.

2. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Travel straight with zero other functions put one pump to each track.
    Travel straight while operating any other other function (I prefer to curl the bucket) makes one pump run both tracks, and the other pump runs, in this case, the bucket.
    So...while travelling, operate the bucket, and see if both tracks become equal in power/ performance.
    Through the monitor, observe each pump pressure by operating bucket unfurl to stall, then stick out to stall. I believe those 2 functions are one pump, and different pumps.

Nige and Vetech63 like this.
  3. Justin98

Justin98 Member

So I'm assuming that if the track does not function properly with another function activated such as the bucket curl, it would be a pump issue? If the track does no funtion properly with no stick functions I am assuming that the drive motor would be bad. Am I correct in my assumptions?

4. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

You need to verify pump output pressure first, each pump.
    Operating any upper while travelling is a quick and dirty test. Just simply hold bucket curl slightly on, while monitoring pump outputs in the monitor.

Or, you could monitor pump pressures while stalling each track with a heavy steel pin.

You didn't say how many hours, but, assuming that the case drain filter has been changed regularly, and there is no contamination in the return filter, then, imho, fault codes need checked first, then pump pressures need checked, then each final need tested at stall, then case drain output and swivel integrity.

5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    You might also check cycle times on boom up and then each track before actually taking anything apart.

6. Jam

Jam Well-Known Member

Building contractor
    Would it be worth changing out the rotary manifold seals first before condemning any big components?

7. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

NO! Test, test, test...I mean, I suppose, you could just throw parts at it.
    But, everything above doesn't even require money.

Nige likes this.
  8. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member