• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

325F EGR valve stuck in manifold

heymccall

325FL s/n NDJ20246
C4.4 M0086017
3900hrs

1121(2) event...EGR not responding

EGR valve only 467-0554old ---> 579-9333 only in Grimmsburg.

Valve assembly seized in inlet manifold elbow.
Stem stuck, electrics good.
Only soot in passage ways.
No signs of coolant or liquid stains in assembly.
Was able to free stem, for now.

Stuck in manifold elbow must be common, as kit with elbow, valve, gaskets, hoses, clamps is now listed, as previously, elbow only came with $3900 manifold.

EGR kit 592-9688old ---> 592-9701 is showing zero status on earth, 433 on order @ 65 days from Cat.

Haven't heard back from Perkins dealer yet, but, it's working, for now. Tried them as it's some version of an 1104 engine.

If I could have gotten the assembly out of the elbow, I could have perfectly cleaned it all, but, no joy.

Any suggestions to help get part(s) sooner than Cat's current 2 month + backorder, as I don't think my cleaning is gonna last, as I couldn't be thorough.

Last edited:

heymccall

Curses...my other 325F got the 1121(2) and derated this morning. And, it's another stuck in the manifold valve. I've got it under 2 hours now. This one had the stem/ valve really frozen on place. And the kit ordered last week has an ETA of July 7.

The kicker is that this one is under emission warranty for another 150 hours, and no dealer techs available for another week.

Any tips on how to force warranty now that the event is no longer active? And, the machine is only 20 minutes from the dealer. It is a $1000 part, that while now operational, is still siezed in the manold housing.

Welder Dave

Do you have pics. of the problem and the hour meter? If you have someone at the dealer you normally talk to they can possibly help you get warranty. When I initially had trouble getting warranty on my F150, because of covid restrictions, an idiot woman at the dealer and even Ford (at the 1-800#) when the service manager got back from holidays a week later he talked to someone he knows at Ford and explained the situation. It got approved instantly. Service manager said it made no sense why leaky valve covers were covered under warranty but leaking oil pan discovered at the same time wasn't. The leaks were discovered when the dealer did my scheduled maintenance. It was under warranty at the time but then covid hit and the gov't. was saying not to go anywhere unless absolutely necessary. The idiot woman filling in for the service manager said if Ford says no there's nothing they can do. Ford uses some stupid formula to guess your mileage. They said I had over 120,000km's and warranty is only 100,000. A couple month's later when some covid restrictions were lifted I took it back. I had 101,200km's. It was at 98,500 when the leaks were discovered, well within warranty. Really stupid that the leaks were a recall on police F150's but on consumer models it wasn't considered a safety issue. Thank God for the service manager who had common sense and knowing who to contact at Ford. Knowing the right people helps.

JD955SC

Nowadays We usually just replace the whole manifold. That stupid valve always seizes in it and often the only thing we can get is the whole piece. I’ve broken a few trying to get them out, and succeeded sometimes with an air hammer.

ahart

We’ve had success a few times using Midwest diesel for these. As far as the one that’s under warranty, as long as they get the work order open before machine goes out of warranty then there should be no issue getting it covered. A good service writer will do that without an issue, and the product status report will show that the event was logged prior to machine going out of warranty. Do you have access to Cat ET? Here’s the info for Midwest if you’d like to give them a call and try.

Midwest Diesel​

3051 82nd Lane
Minneapolis, MN 55449
888-866-3406

heymccall

The valve is shown as valve only or valve with manifold elbow. Since mine are seized in the elbow, I've ordered the latter. No need to order entire $3900 manifold anymore.

It's just that valve only is in Grimmsburg, and valve with manifold is vendor backorder, due in July 7.
Screenshot_20230614-101946_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Welder Dave

We’ve had success a few times using Midwest diesel for these. As far as the one that’s under warranty, as long as they get the work order open before machine goes out of warranty then there should be no issue getting it covered. A good service writer will do that without an issue, and the product status report will show that the event was logged prior to machine going out of warranty. Do you have access to Cat ET? Here’s the info for Midwest if you’d like to give them a call and try.

Midwest Diesel​

3051 82nd Lane
Minneapolis, MN 55449
888-866-3406
That should have been the case with my truck but had an idiot trying to act as a service manager. Trying to deny warranty because of covid is stupid but even without covid they still had to order the parts which took about 3 weeks because they were out of stock of some of them. I'm sure the woman would have tried to claim the warranty expired in the time it took for the parts to come in.