• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3116 water going directly to oil pan

sawzall5150

Occupation
Seld employed welder, fabricator,millwright,piping
Hey everyone!
I could really use someone with a lot of 3116 knowledge with this. In a nutshell, last spring, pulling trailer with my manlift and heard a smack, lost power, truck running like a chevy v8 on 5 cylinders. Eased to top of hill, pulled to side of road and shut it off. Got out, opened the hood, oil all over the road, 2 push rods and pieces of cam follower plate laying around. That's what leads to my problem I have now. I did my research and got it running like a sewing machine. I noticed no water visible in the radiator reservoir and decided to top it off. Here's the catch- almost as soon as I pour in coolant I can hear it going into the oil pan? So I decided to drain the radiator to get a idea of where the water level is to get a idea of where it's leaking.
Not a drop of water in radiator. Well that explains the extra 3 1/2 gallons of black pudding that was in the oil pan when I first drained it after it dropped the push rods. So, with a empty radiator, I pour in coolant and almost immediately I hear it going in the oil pan. It has to be from water pump or oil cooler right? Anything else that could leak is above this level. I'm reading that bad cooler can only put oil in water not water in oil? Of course in this scenario nothing is pressurized. I have nothing to indicate oil in water. Is there a passage related to water pump that could cause this? I believe this problem contributed to the failure but not completely. This is a Cat Reman engine with only 15,000 miles that never got the top end ran after break in. It had 2500 miles when I bought the truck and not being a Cat guy I had no idea it had to be done. Most of the rockers were REALLY loose. The old man I bought it from had no paperwork on the motor. I went to Cat with the serial # and they showed the engine being remanufactured but no documentation that it ever left the plant so they couldn't do anything for me. I have a mechanical 8.3 Cummins 300 horse in the shop for this truck but I'm still in the parts gathering stage and will be for quite some time. I'm really needing to get this truck back under a trailer. My old F350 thanks you in advance for any relief you can give.

Truck Shop

With what you described above, with oil on the ground and parts laying about. Sounds like a block issue MBG. Without pics of what took place, wellll.

sawzall5150

Occupation
That was due to the cam follower plate cover getting knocked out side of block when it dropped a couple push rods. I’ve got that taken care of. The leaking water is a lot lower on opposite side somewhere down low. Just hoping someone has had same thing and can verify location before I start ripping

Truck Shop

Well if it was me, I would be dropping the oil pan and have someone pour water in it and see where it's coming from. That is the sure fire method. Because if it's running out as fast as you put
it in your not going to pressurize it anyway.

3116-Caterpillar-Engine-Block-06-29-2017.jpg

Last edited:

sawzall5150

Occupation
That would be my immediate thoughts as well but in this case the water level as I begin to pour is well below the camshaft galley area so there’s nothing there to leak. Without removing a bunch of stuff, it appears that the radiator reservoir tube goes down into the water pump which is way down low and relatively even with the oil cooler galley/water jacket and that’s how you fill the system with coolant. I would like to see a exploded view of that area of the block showing the relationship of the water pump/oil cooler water jacket to see if it’s possible for water to enter a ruptured oil cooler and run into oil pan but I haven’t found anything. I’m not even getting a half gallon of water in the bottom of the block when I hear it trickling so it can’t be close to high enough to come through at the camshaft galley. I also cleaned it and inspected it thoroughly before I fixed that issue. I don’t know, this thing is really jacking with me.

sawzall5150

Occupation
I’ll do that. I’ll have to clean the chocolate pudding out again anyway. Ugggh it’s so hard to do anything related to the bottom of that truck. Did you see the pic? It’s a really cool old truck but it’s on the dirt. I did that to pull same height goosenecks and camper as my pickups. It takes a lot of jacking and blocking to get it up to a comfortable height. It just doesn’t make any sense. The leaking completely drains the radiator so the leak has to be at or below bottom of radiator. Bottom of radiator is well below cam galley and probably a foot below head. If it was leaking at either, wouldn’t the radiator at least retain water at the same level as the leak? That tells me it’s down low...really low. So there’s no way a ruptured oil cooler could cause this leak? It’s about the lowest thing there is. I believe the dropped push rods were a symptom of this leak not the Leak being a symptom of the dropped push rods. I just didn’t catch it in time and it turned my oil into pudding and quit oiling up high.I almost never got that crap to clear out and get good flow over the rockers and now I’ll have to do it again. I really do appreciate the input from everyone and anyone who specializes in these gutless no power 3116’s feel free to jump in. Thanks

Truck Shop

Checking it by dropping the pan you will find it and if it is as you think just the oil cooler you will be a happy fellow, and yes the 3116 is a gutless wonder.