• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3114 valve adjust

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
just bought a 446 approx 5500hrs from internet auction local machine went to pick it up kinda know the shop foreman I asked was there any thing wrong with machine he said oh it's a little low on power and when you crank it move the hyd to make it start easy GREAT the auction said nothing about engine problems get it back to shop find that turbo is leaking oil on the cold side replaced turbo still not just right good bit of black smoke kinda lugging on rev up pulled valve covers adjusted valves and then find out about these pita mech.injectors ??? is are they as hard to adjust and set up as people claim and do we go head and put reman's in before we start my mechanic seem's to think it's got a fuel knock on the #1 cyld

Cmark

So the foreman said "move the hyd to make it start easy" and you reckon "kinda lugging on rev up" right? Sounds to me like you've got a parasitic load on the engine.

Quick and dirty test; disconnect the drive shaft from the hydraulic pump and see if that makes the engine perform OK.

If that narrows the fault down to the hydraulic system you're going to need a couple of accurate pressure gauges with hoses and couplings to check the margin pressure.

clintm

Occupation
we have gauge's but that still doesn't explain the fuel knock. it seemed to start fine for me when it was warm but I have not cranked it since my mechanic put the turbo on he has

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It appears likely from your description of the symptoms that you could have 2 separate problems. I think if it was me I would be chasing the hydraulic one down first and finding out why the system appears to have a parasitic load on it.

Last edited:

clintm

Occupation
thanks nige we will try an look at it tomorrow if we get time you know how mondays can be