• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

310g John Deere starving

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Neil;)! Aloha! How about a machine serial number please. First thing I would do is rule out fuel supply issues. Do you have good quality fuel? Did you change fuel filters? Check fuel tank vent? Make sure the fuel supply and return lines are clear and without kinks or damage? No crap in the tank? Fuel strainer inside the fuel tank on the pickup clear?

Canadian_digger

One thing mg mentioned is the fuel tank vent. It’s in the fuel tank cap. They tend to plug. If it does there will be suction when you unscrew the cap.

Delmer

Do you think the engine is low on power, or not?

Does it sound like it's missing on some cylinders? or does it sound like you have an exhaust leak? I can't tell from the video.

Is this machine new to you? or do you have any history on what's happened to it?

Neil Ho

engine.jpg
vin.jpg
Fuel tank Cap - remove the Gasket and also loosen the cap to ensure that the vent was not plug.
Fuel Line Gaskets - Change all the fuel line gasket as most of them were decaying.
Fuel Filter - Change

The backhoe doesn't feel like it looses any power. Tho the sound of the engine as if there inst enough fuel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c3vfogw4dby83i/VID_20191127_135537.mp4?dl=0

It wont be an exhaust leak because the sound happen only operatically but happens until we shut off the engine and turn it back one.

There is a service code that come up on the display. Ill get the exact code tomorrow, but it has something to do with communication with the ECU.

Ive had this backhoe for about 15 years purchased it 2nd hand from the local American Machinery Dealer.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 10
  • vin.jpg
    vin.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

Delmer

operatically

You mean it's a soprano??? SPORADICALLY? OCCASIONALLY?

So, sometimes it will start and run fine, then start making this noise, and then keep making the noise till you shut it off? But it's not low on power? try driving up a hill in high gear before and after the noise and then tell me if it's low on power, please.

Neil Ho

So code I got is F494 does anyone have any electrical diagram for my unit? I think you're right it is low in power.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
F494 Pump Control Valve Closure Too Long which translates to an issue with the pump control solenoid, it's wiring or the ECU itself. Even with a code like that make sure to rule out fuel supply issues first. Do you have good fuel? Good fuel pressure to the injection pump? Air i the fuel? Any of the items I mentioned in post #2? If all the basics check out take a look at the ECU which should be just below the injection pump. Does the case of the ECU appear "bulged" in any way? Try putting a little pressure against the side of the ECU with your hand or a hammer handle while the engine is running. Any change in the engine's sound? Wiggle the wires that come out of the injection pump solenoid and along the harness back to the ECU while the engine is running to see if that changes the way the engine runs. Check all of the above and report back.