• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

310C injector pump

USA1

I’ve got an 87 310c with the power loss problem related to the plastic ring in the injector pump coming apart. I have a reseal kit for the pump but I can’t figure out how to pop the gear off the front of the pump shaft. I’ve removed the hood and I’ve tried hitting the shaft with a brass punch and brass hammer bu there is simply no room to swing the hammer. I’m about ready to call a mobile mechanic...is there a secret to this or will I need to remove the entire radiator an remove the entire front cover? I tried removing fuel lines and sliding the pump back like I did on my old 310A. The pump slid pretty far back but wouldn’t come off.has anyone here had any success doing this?

USA1

Thanks Diesel, That is exactly what I was looking for! I couldn’t see the 2 screw holes in the gear. I’ll go out and have another look. They must line up as shown in the picture when the injector pump timing marks are lined up. I should be able to make a puller or I’ll search the web. Crazy thing is..I’ve been searching for a picture like that in all of my Deere manuals and found nothing. Thanks again!

USA1

This is what I see when timing marks are aligned at injection pump and flywheel. No holes...should I forget the timing and just turn flywheel until I see the threaded holes in the gear?

Attachments

• B1BF0638-9B90-4025-8FE1-BB562D8675BE.png
    B1BF0638-9B90-4025-8FE1-BB562D8675BE.png
    987.9 KB · Views: 12

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If that pump had a spring under that cover, then when you remove the injection pump, the shaft stays with the engine and the pump slides off of it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
U said it “slid pretty far”..
If that’s the case, the dr shaft seal is probably caught up in a groove in the pilot tube.??
Pull it back while turning it back and forth.. wiggle it..
Oh, 1 more thing..
(Just being a smart azz) if u can’t figure out how to get it off, how the he!! do u expect to rebuild it.??
It’s a hellofa lot more complicated than those 3 nuts u took off…
Seriously tho.. if u run into any questions that u can’t find the answers to on the rebuild, give me a shout..
U can reach me faster if u use my other email ..
My screen name at aoldotcom
Good luck

Last edited:

USA1

FCA6BD0A-F62E-4AC9-AC84-0DB9A3530731.png
These are the numbers on the pump. The pump does have a spring loaded plunger sticking out of the front of the shaft. I was able to slide it an inch or two past the shaft seals and I saw that the shaft narrows way down but it gave massive resistance at that point so I slid it back on. As far as rebuilding goes, I resealed my 310A and that works fine. If you are willing to help me out, let me know what I need to do and I’ll send it to you for repairs? Let me know…thanks again for all the info!

Tinkerer

pumpguysc did one for me.
It looked so dam good I thought he returned a new one !
Wherever you send it, drain every drop of oil and fuel out of it and double wrap in super heavy plastic bags that don't leak before you put in a box with packing material.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
It doesn’t matter how many times I say it Timkerer..
I STILL get pumps FULL of fuel, wrapped in 1/2 sheet of bubble wrap, in a box 2-3x bigger than the pump.!!
Boxes soaked thru, holes in the box.!!
THEN, there’s the guys that LISTEN.!! What a pleasure it is to open up one of those shipments.!! It puts a smile on my ugly mug..

joe--h

Mike does a great job, follow his directions when you get it back and you're good.

I won't even mention that he takes bad checks..........

Joe H

USA1

Sent it to TPG and he is taking care of it. I think I will have it back next week already! It’ll probably take me longer to get it back in than it took him to rebuild...I’ll let you guys know how it works out...thanks again!