• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3046T runaway

Cat blues

Need help! Just replaced crankshaft in a 3046t, got it back together new rings and bearings etc. started cranking it to build up oil pressure and after about 15 seconds of cranking it fired off. This would be ok if I had fuel connected and ready but it showed no oil pressure and was running on oil! Rebuilt many larger engines and never encountered any like this! Looking for all the expert advice I can get!

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Welcome to the HEF. Good to have you. Share your adventures. I think the 3046T was running on hopes & dreams. A solid case of sheer determination to do the right thing. You gave it a crank and it responded the only way it knew how.

chidog

Must have been some residual fuel in the pump? If running on oil where did that come from? How long did it run with no oil pressure? Hope fully you lubed everything real well during assembly.

Cat blues

Everything was well lined with Lucas assembly lube. I’m sure it was oil, although it didn’t smoke or smell weird. It ramped up to probably 1500-2000rpm range and The only way to shut it down was the clipboard over the intake method. Sputtered all kinds of oil out of the crankcase breather tubes in the valve cover. During my “oh sh##” moment, I didn’t get to see my manual oil pressure gage reading. I just know that it hadn’t gone up during cranking prior to it firing off. Gasket kit was some cheap thing off the internet from somewhere, half the housing gaskets were wrong (customer bought) maybe I missed something in head gasket? Very clean install in the shop.

Coaldust

Occupation
Roger that.

My goodness. Be honest. Did you poop your pants a little bit when that happened?

Any paranormal activity around the shop lately?

Coaldust

Occupation
I often keep a Co2 extinguisher handy when cranking overhauls. I worked for one dealer with a no tolerance policy for runaways. They paid us to take extra steps so it wouldn’t happen.

But anyways, you know she runs! There was enough fuel left over like Mr. Chidog mentioned.

Cat blues

I’ve rebuilt many 3406 A,B,C,E, C15 3306, C10,C12 etc but this little guy has me stumped! Not finding a whole lot of information on it either

Coaldust

Occupation
That’s awesome. You should head over to the new member area and introduce yourself.