• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3/4 ton welding truck remodel

Walker1

I have been driving 2500 trucks with a welder in the back as a contractor for about 15 years now. I do residential and commercial doors, stairs, gates, railings, etc. i started with my equipment on a small trailer, but found it was a pain when I needed a big trailer too, to haul whatever I was installing. So they went on a skid in the truck. It works well, but severely limits room in the truck bed. Last year my compressor tank had developed fatigue cracks, so I bought a new tank($699) and swapped the gear on top over. It turned out to be a false economy I think, as the Kohler motor has started smoking, and the pump is having trouble with blow by now too.

I just finished making repairs to the welders bottom pan. All the mounting bolt holes were fatigued and cracked. It is fairly low hours for a 20 year old machine, as I generally use it during install for final tie in welds. About 15 minutes a couple times a week kind of thing.

I was looking at the VMAC air compressor to replace my truck mounted compressor, but $12 grand is a bit steep. I really only need 24cfm, so it is hard to justify that much money. I am a creative kind of guy though. I ran across a really nice VMAC compressor on ebay, and managed a really good deal on it. I also found a deal on the oil separator tank. Even having those parts it was still going to cost 6 grand for the rest of the factory parts to make it work.the bracket was going to cost $1500 by itself. The electronic throttle control was almost 3 grand. The pump itself is beautiful inside and out, it looks virtually unused.
C35ADA1B-806B-45FE-9D0A-5DE88A80FD5B.jpeg

After looking at throttle controls I found an InPower unit for a hundred bucks that has a parking brake, park, throttle pedal interlock. It simply plugs into the OBD II connector and has a couple wires for switches. One will be an on off switch, the other will go to a pressure switch.
36036983-A666-4958-8EF1-9DD139306547.jpeg
I picked up a spare alternator bracket for my truck. I am designing a bracket to mount on this bracket to hold the pump.

EADD47E9-5DD9-4051-80DF-B9D5699E9ECB.jpeg

The oil seperator tank arrived and looks virtually new, except that it had oil in it. I ordered new filters, and will need to make brackets for that. I should have some progress on this in the near future, and I will update here as I do.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got away from the smaller trucks some 25=30 years ago, we were already spinning up the use of Loadstar series IH and the Top Kick, Kodiak series GMs, were a few already using Large class 7 Pete's and KWs a few Western Stars not many Freightliners. A few shops still stayed one ton dually but machines demanded tools volumes, air on sites, welders, and lube handling equipment. At the Utility we converted old Gas Service or Underground electric work trucks to our mechanic use.

Impressive, the use of the lighter trucks and support equipment.

AzIron

Next truck I set up will have a 302 air pac to save a little weight and more space
My issue with vmac is the Same as a pto it's a lot of motor to run for a compressor

Walker1

Next truck I set up will have a 302 air pac to save a little weight and more space
My issue with vmac is the Same as a pto it's a lot of motor to run for a compressor

it is a lot of motor, but I dont tend to run for great lengths of time, or with great frequency, so I dont have any big concerns over excessive engine wear.

Where in AZ are you? I am up off of Carefree Hwy, just north of Phoenix.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
We've been running that same unit on our 1998 F350 4x4 service truck since 1997. Still going strong. Ours is a 5.4 Ford gas, only complaint is that it makes the engine a bitch to work on. The compressor has performed flawlessly.