• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2nd operator requirement

mark nicklas

what is the purpose,task reason for this job???
i got a
question,i am a crane operator,i had a union call yesterday for 2nd operator on a 1300 lieberr,the hall portrayed the crane as 1300ton and i passed.i realize now it was only a 300tn.what is the purpose of the 2nd operator anyway??? been local 12 for 20years and never encountered a 2nd operator call out or no the purpose..also i was luffer config too..

crane operator

Are they running 2 shifts? if not, they may be willing to pay to have a second operator on site everyday for if the first guy gets sick or doesn't show up, usually this is for a high pressure short term job, like a turn around on a refinery where down time is millions. They can't afford not to have a operator for the crane, and no work happening, just because someone is sick, so they're willing to pay a second guy to back up the first.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
In some juristictions once you get to a certain size crane, or certain size boom and luffer, a second operator or more commonly called oiler is required. He takes care of the daily maintainence of the machine, watches over things during the picks, and can take over the seat as needed.

crane operator

I've never heard a oiler called second operator- maybe thats a more politically correct term? Also-- I've met very few oilers that would be capable of sliding in the seat. Usually someone able to slide in the seat is running a different crane elsewhere.

But old iron habit teaches me new things all the time:D!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I've never heard a oiler called second operator- maybe thats a more politically correct term? Also-- I've met very few oilers that would be capable of sliding in the seat. Usually someone able to slide in the seat is running a different crane elsewhere.

But old iron habit teaches me new things all the time:D!

You are correct when you say many oilers can not slide into the seat. Companies often don't want to pay for two good operators. But many do have both trained as operators and oilers and in some areas it is required. A few years ago on a large hospital project, I had two of the best operators I have ever had the pleasure of working with on a Manotowoc 2250 with 280' of stick with the luffer. They took turns by week operating and oiling. We never stopped for a bathroom break as the other operator slid into the seat and the crane worked every noon and coffee break making picks for other contractors. After the 2250 left we kept the 2 operators and they each excelled in one of the two tower cranes we erected. Sadly, you make a good point that many oilers are not operators and not even training to do so.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
I belong to the iuoe . Under a certain size crane you only need one operator ,between certain size cranes you need an operator and oiler(oiler does not have to know how how to run machine),above a certain size requires two operators.

crane operator

All the contracts are local. Some contracts state oilers are at the discretion of the employer, some are spelled out in the contract by weight of the crane, or number of axles, or boom length. You can find most of the contracts online:

An Oiler or Fireman or Second Engineer will be employed at the discretion of the Employer. from https://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/cba/pdf/2015/private/9031.pdf Albany

Crane Assistant Engineer/Oiler shall be required on all friction Truck Cranes 50 tons and over and Truck Cranes and All Terrain Cranes that are over 60 tons. All Rough Terrain Cranes and Hydraulic Boom Crawler Cranes over 100 tons shall require an assistant engineer. https://d1jbk5omxb4scq.cloudfront.n...ginal/OE_Local_302_2015_-_2018.pdf?1443538565

All Hydraulic Cherry Picker type machines of over one hundred ten thousand (110,000) pounds gross vehicle weight shall require an Engineer and Oiler and/or Apprentice as the case may be.http://fvagc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/OEBldg13-171.pdf

No one but an Operating Engineer shall move (drive) the truck crane except where an Oiler or Apprentice is also employed. Where a truck crane of twenty (20) ton lifting capacity or over is used, an Oiler or Apprentice shall also be employed, http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/mi-ita.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/Labor/UNDERGROUNDOperatingEngineer.pdf

17.4.1.c Cranes shall be rated at the highest capacity and shall not be derated for the purpose of utilizing the only one (1) Operating Engineers.

17.4.1.d Hydraulic Cranes: Crews on all hydraulic truck mounted cranes of forty (40) ton or larger shall consist of an Operator and it shall require an Assistant to the Operator (Oiler).

17.4.1.e Hydraulic Truck Cranes: Fifty (50) ton and under with factory manufactured remote controls, which allow the crane to be operated and driven on the jobsite from the same seat and the same set of controls and used for hook work only shall not require an Assistant to the Operator. When remote controls are inoperative an Assistant to the Operator (Oiler) is required.

17.4.1.f Hydraulic Boom Crawler Cranes: One hundred (100) ton and under used for hook work only shall not require an Assistant to the Operator. If any attachments are used, including but not limited to, pile driver, draglines, clamshells, suspended equipment, or workers, etc., crews shall consist of an Operator and shall require an Assistant to the Operator (Oiler).

17.4.1.g Hydraulic Boom Crawler Cranes: One hundred (100) ton and over, crews shall consist of an Operator and shall require an Assistant to the Operator (Oiler).

17.4.1.h Rough Terrain Cranes: Up to and including one hundred thirty one (131) ton when used for hook work only shall not require an Assistant to the Operator. If any attachments are used, including but not limited to, pile driver, draglines, clamshells, suspended equipment, or workers, etc., crews shall consist of an Operator and shall require an Assistant to the Operator (Oiler).

17.4.1.i Rough Terrain Cranes: One hundred thirty two (132) ton and over, crews shall consist of an Operator and shall require an Assistant to the Operator (Oiler). AGC-Operating Engineers Local 701 Master Labor Agreement 2015-2019 Page 33

17.4.1.j Boom Trucks: Sixty five (65) ton and under used for hook work only shall not require an Assistant to the Operator (Oiler). If any attachments are used, including but not limited to, pile driver, draglines, clamshells, suspended equipment, or workers, etc., crews shall consist of an Operator and shall require an Assistant to the Operator (Oiler).

17.4.2 Lattice Boom Cranes: Crews on all track or truck cranes and/or similar equipment thirty ton (30) and over shall consist of an Operator and shall require and Assistant to the Operator (Oiler).

from https://www.agc-oregon.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/OE-Final.pdf

That's just a couple examples--

I think a oiler with a twenty ton capacity truck crane is a little too much help, a 120 ton rt by yourself is probably a little much in the other direction. Another contract I read did it by axles- any cranes with only three axles= no oiler,- 4 axles= oiler. I found the rule about factory controls in the upper, not requiring a oiler to be interesting. I've seen that a lot in cranes for sale in california. A lot of used rigs there will have a set of upper driving controls, and always figured they were special ordered for setting precast wall panels, where they were doing a lot of moving, seems it was more to comply with the oiler rules.

I tend to send the manpower required to do the job. I go to jobs all the time with my tms 300 by myself. But the other day doing manbasket work in the blind, I took along a signal man. I took along a extra man this week with one of the 25 tons, because of poor site access. Always take someone with me with my 70 ton. If its a multi day and not much moving of the crane, I'll have just the crane and operator there. I do find it interesting reading the different contracts.