1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

299d2 emissions delete

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by hvguy, Oct 6, 2020.

1. hvguy

hvguy Senior Member

2017 cat 299d2, 1485 hours needs a DEF manifold at $2500 lol, I haven't even put 50.hours on it since I bought it from cat. And I don't think emissions is covered. The manifold needs replaced but it's backordered for who knows how long.

Has anyone every just swapped the sensor or do y'all just delete the whole system and just straight pipe it. IMG_20201006_102252.jpg

2. RayGonzo

RayGonzo New Member

Did you get any replies? I have like machine and have been wondering about a delete kit. Have you been able to find any info

3. hvguy

hvguy Senior Member

Apparently this is a widespread problem with caterpillar, apparently they used all of these sensors on pretty much every machine that they ever built, and unfortunately they are all dying, and since it's back ordered two months, I found a guy to do the emissions delete, turnkey with everything removed for $5,500, I'm awaiting further options, that's a lot of money to spend on a new machine

4. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Should be a recall if it's a wide spread problem.

5. hvguy

hvguy Senior Member

Oh, it will be but the issue I have is it's too early to be considered to recall, and since it is my only machine, and I am a small business that is only about 2 years old, I can't afford to be without my money maker for 3 months while they try to figure out how to get parts

6. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Should definitely be providing you a loaner until they can fix your machine.

7. hvguy

hvguy Senior Member

Yeah, the best they said they could do is a discount on a rental lol I'm feeling pretty butt hurt over the whole thing right now.

8. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I am not going to bang on CAT too much, but they had a countless number of skid steers blowing motors way too early and there was no recall. I wouldn't hold your breath on this. I would just get it fixed regardless of what it takes to keep the machine running. A delete may save you from future issues as well, might look at it like insurance.

9. Paul Council

Paul Council Senior Member

I don't remember from the top of my head. But it's been federally mandated to warranty emissions system on the teir4 final engines for something like 5 or 7k hours and five years. If I can find that info I will be sure to post it here.

John C. and mg2361 like this.
  10. Paul Council

Paul Council Senior Member

That issue is happening across the board. Cat, Cummins, kubota, and Volvo all have the same failure. One thing that you can try and it doesn't fix it every time. Turn the key on engine off. Drain the def fluid. Turn the key off and fill the def tank. Depending on the way it's been programmed that will reset the timer of when it does the self diagnosis on the def manifold. Is it throwing a code for def quality sensor short to ground?

John C. and mg2361 like this.
  11. RayGonzo

RayGonzo New Member

I guess a local guy in your area that does it. Im new to the skid steer. Mine is not new or under warranty I just cant find somebody that will do the delete all kit. If anybody has any info on where to start let me know

12. John5829583

John5829583 New Member

Caterpillar emissions warranty is a 60 month (5 year) unlimited hour warranty. This warranty covers Parts and Labor costs. Your DEF Manifold is covered under warranty and you have the option to either bring it to a caterpillar dealer or use the field service department for repair. Warranty does not cover customer damage or travel/mileage expenses. The manifold part number has been updated and has had modifications done to them for more reliability. The new part number is 604-8650. Caterpillar has placed the manifolds on a worldwide “freeze” due to the high volume of orders. A new manifold can be ordered and usually takes around 1 to 1 1/2 months to come in. The cheapest option is to pre order the manifold through your local dealer and once it arrives bring it to the shop for repair. Pre washing the machine under the cab and DEF tank area would help you cut expenses as well.

Thank You, John

Tarhe Driver and Tags like this.
  13. Diego I.

Diego I. New Member

Alguien puede dar mas aportes y comentarios sobre este problema? Tengo un equipo en Bolivia, con el mismo fallo y no encuentro solución al alcance inmediato para atenderlo.

Quedo de antemano agradecido por los comentarios.

14. Midnightmoon

Midnightmoon Senior Member

After your 5 year emissions waranty is over you can do a delete. I wouldnt do it before. Say you have an injector fail from manufacturer defect it washes out your cylinder and causes engine failure your engine is covered under the emissions waranty. It wont be as soon as you delete emission parts on that machine.

Paul Council likes this.
  15. Midnightmoon

I found an emulator to fool ecu I to thinking def system is working but not for cat. It's funny kubota and case use the same def header/manifold they have problems I bet the sensors are all the same. Case and kubota use the same one in fact. Well in similar machines. Does anyone have a picture of the cat manifold. I have a few used ones that the level sender is bad in

16. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I see the smoke police forming up on the horizon.

LEGO and Midnightmoon like this.
  17. Midnightmoon

I'm not sure how disabling def system and leaving dpf would even work but a place claims otherwise. It's interesting technology using an emulator to mimic a can communication to the ecu every 20 sec. I can monitor that with oscilloscope but now I need to reproduce it. It would be a great tool to get equipment moved when the ecu is pissed off. More work then it's worth but interesting

18. Midnightmoon

19. LEGO

LEGO Active Member

Diesel tech
    CATERPILLAR DOESNT CALL THEM RECALLS, THEY CALL THEM SERVICE LETTERS. BUT YES, ITS A KNOWN PROBLEM.

20. LEGO

LEGO Active Member

Diesel tech
    EMISSIONS WARRANTY SHOULD COVER IT. EMISSIONS WARRANTY IS FOR 5 YEARS OR 3000 HOURS.