• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

297c bucket tilt very slow

My Cat 297c, GCP01201, has 4400 hrs, bought it used at 4200hrs. The bucket tilt is extremely slow, had it in the shop for new tracks and now the tilt down takes 20 seconds… up is ok, seems normal. Still lots of power lifting and drive. Fluid is good, filters were changed at 4250 hrs .. what should I look for first?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
My Cat 297c, GCP01201, has 4400 hrs, bought it used at 4200hrs. The bucket tilt is extremely slow, had it in the shop for new tracks and now the tilt down takes 20 seconds… up is ok, seems normal. Still lots of power lifting and drive. Fluid is good, filters were changed at 4250 hrs .. what should I look for first?
According to the system your machine is High Flow so the illustration below should be representative of what you have for a main control valve. Try swapping the solenoid valves #3 and #16 for the bucket dump and rackback functions. See if the problem moves from dump (where it is now) to rackback.

1711993480211.png

Question. Did it suddenly start acting like this or has it gradually gone worse over time.?
I’ve only had the machine for less than 2 years, had lots of issues. It always seemed fine until the last couple months, it started seeming slow, then last week got real slow. I changed the filter and it got slightly better, more like the last few months. Hope that makes sense..

Ok, filter looked fairly good, few small particles but not much. The fluid however is the color of maple syrup, not late season.. but reddish. And sticky..
I’d guess a fluid change/flush..?

ozarkag

Calibration with ET.
Set the parameter as high as it will let you.

You still have good lift power, so pressure "should " be good.