• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

289C Parking Brake Issue

dzlsnowman

Hello there,
We've been working on a friends cat 289c skid for the better part of a week. The parking brake will not release most of the time. The switch still works as it releases hydraulics to the bucket and lift cylinders. If we shut it off and start many many times, it sometimes releases and works fine until the park is engaged again. Other times, it will work fine all day on the jobsite. After hours and hours of googling and chasing wires we are at a loss. Thought I'd check here to see if anybody has any suggestions. The dealer will be more than he wants to spend at this point. I think we found the solenoid if that's what the part is actually called but can't see a part number on it. Is there a way to just bypass the park feature for now? Anyody have a part number for these models and is that in fact what the part is called?
Thanks for any and all help!!

Jfarris

It could be the seat safety sensor going out, parking brake switch or the electrical board gets a burned out connection. I’ve had all these problems on my 277B

GUNNER88

Occupation
FIELD REPAIR AND DIAGNOSTICS
Hello there,
We've been working on a friends cat 289c skid for the better part of a week. The parking brake will not release most of the time. The switch still works as it releases hydraulics to the bucket and lift cylinders. If we shut it off and start many many times, it sometimes releases and works fine until the park is engaged again. Other times, it will work fine all day on the jobsite. After hours and hours of googling and chasing wires we are at a loss. Thought I'd check here to see if anybody has any suggestions. The dealer will be more than he wants to spend at this point. I think we found the solenoid if that's what the part is actually called but can't see a part number on it. Is there a way to just bypass the park feature for now? Anyody have a part number for these models and is that in fact what the part is called?
What did you find?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
First thing I would suggest is to get into the electronics and see what Diagnostic Codes you have. See the attachment, you can see the Codes using the Monitor panel. NOTE: You are initially looking for Active Codes (Service Mode 1), not Logged ones.

If the Codes point to the solenoid then a machine Serial Number would be a good idea to ensure the correct Part Number to source a replacement, or a troubleshooting procuedre would be available. Frequently Codes turn out to be a wiring fault not a component, the procedure will identify that.

Attachments

• C-Series SSL Diagnostic Codes using Monitor.pdf
    864.2 KB · Views: 17

Lee Carney

Hello there,
I have the same problem with my Cat289C2. Does anyone have an answer?

GUNNER88

Occupation
FIELD REPAIR AND DIAGNOSTICS
The problem I had was hydraulic oil had got water in it. After draining and replacing oil. Everything worked fine.

Lee Carney

I just went to get the codes and the machine works fine now. I need to find out what is causing the problem. The active events are as follows: 2474-3 2476-3 2471-3 Logged events 1251-4 There was also another one but not sure it is related 3975338-3 3975338-2 The serial number is RTD00214. I really like the machine but i do work in very remote locations and need to feel confident it will make it back. I really appreciate all the help.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Well I would have lost my bet.......!!
CID2471-3 relates to the door safety switch. If the problem comes & goes this could possibly be the issue. See attached.

CID1251-4 relates to the alternator. Also attached.

Attachments

• MID039 CID1251 FMI04.pdf
    197.9 KB · Views: 7
  • MID039 CID2471 FMI03.pdf
    228.7 KB · Views: 3

dhoffman

I am having the same issue with my 289c. Is there a way to access the trouble codes without the navigation buttons? My serial number is cat 289ccjmp02959

Attachments

• 20231023_145921.jpg
    20231023_145921.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3