• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

279C or TL250

therealjohnboy

hey fellas,
I am looking for a larger machine needs to have enough power for Brush cutting in steep country,harley rake, chain trencher, and site cuts in heavy clay.
I have been offered the TL250 with 118hrs for $77K and the 279C with 280hrs for $85K my question is which is the better machine?? I know the TL150 is an animal but the TL250 is down a bit on power with the yanmah engine, the Cat has less power again but is the sacrifice worthwhile for the comfort of suspension???

Would apprieciate any input.

Cheers John

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Humm, my info tells me that both the tak 150 & 250 run a yanmar rated for just under 100 hp. Also look at the machines on machinery trader, they are listing a bunch of tl150's for 35k range with 50 hours or so on them.

With the tak machine make sure to get the air ride seat, then they are not to bad to run. At least that has been my experience.

therealjohnboy

my mistake kubota donk but either way down on power. Can pick up TL150 2200hrs around $55K but would prefer lower hrs TL250 seems the best pick just like the idea of a nice ride. Could the TL250 be retro fitted with the air ride seat easily enough??

SVTSHELBYGT500

Occupation
Excavating Contractor 30 + Yrs.
demoed a TL240 & TL250 Along With A Cat 279C. All Good But Cat Rides Much Better. Got The Cat 279C With No Problems. We Run A Fecon Mulcher With HiFlow On It Some !

frogfarmer

TL250 all the way. They are rough and tumble at times but with a good seat and operator the units smoothe out nicely. I do not like the cat undercarriage have seen too many wear parts and torn tracks. Both machines are good and strong but around here Takeuchi is the bread winner. Before I made a decision I would check for a local servicing dealer. If your area supports one over the other that may be the deciding factor.

Digdeep

TL250 all the way. They are rough and tumble at times but with a good seat and operator the units smoothe out nicely. I do not like the cat undercarriage have seen too many wear parts and torn tracks. Both machines are good and strong but around here Takeuchi is the bread winner. Before I made a decision I would check for a local servicing dealer. If your area supports one over the other that may be the deciding factor.

279C has a very similar undercarriage (steel rollers and Bridgestone track) to the Takeuchi in addition to the suspension that a TL250 does not have. I think the 299C would be a closer comparison though if you are comparing operating weights.

Digdeep

only problem is a 2nd hand 299C with 1500hrs still fetches around the $95K just out of my reach

Why don't you look at a ASV/Terex PT100? They compare very well, have metal face seals now, much faster ground speed and standard high flow hydraulics. Just a thought.

Mackcat

The CAT will climb hills better, with the dual level suspension it contours to the uneven ground to grip better and the track tread pattern has more traction than what is used on the Tak, You wouldn`t think so but it does. I have a 297C and horsepower has never been an issue, I use mine for brushcutting and grading and it does everything with ease. I use to have ASV machines and they had more horsepower than my CAT, But i cannot tell a difference. I Love my CAT it`s an all around GREAT machine IMO.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Would recommend demoing them both. If your intended job is brush cutting, does either one have high-flow?

parajoe

No I have a Cat 299c and it does not live up to it's specs.It will not handle the wight the Tach will(I havea gehlctl70 tach140)The suspension system rides great but takes away from the lift.Cat is trying to put out a diffrent suspension for heavier attachments,Cat has had meetings with the large tree clearing companies tom solve problem.
Joe Demeter Paradise Tree Farm

AkRental

Occupation
Shop manager and rental owner
I have a new TL250 and had a TL150 w/Fecon before. I ordered the TL250 with the new Cool-Aid package installed from Tak. List price was $83K I believe.

Over three years, I had a set of new tracks ready to install on the TL150, but never needed to install them. In that same period, my brother went through a couple tracks and undercarriages on his Cats.

That being said, I understand that the Cats can now be had with ALL steel tracks and running gear.

I briefly considered a new Cat, but the price difference was too much. The Taks are built like the proverbial TANK, and I love that for rentals!

LanceNE

Occupation
Land clearing/Fuels reduction
Stay away from Cat CTLs if on slopes. They will derail regularly. Had a 279 C, derailed almost once a day. They are useless on slopes. CAT has been very slow to respond to the problem. Last fall it was we dont know how to drive. Double idler was then the answer..... narrower track was the answer last spring....know it is a triple idler. Would have been nice if CAT had done their job and tested the undercarriage under conditions they are trying to sell mulchers, rakes and saws for.
The CAT MTL's stay on but the up keep will break you in a tree clearing application.