• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

279 C2 battery icon with work lights on

XSKIER

S/N CAT0279CAKWB01063

I can run with the front lights and heater fan on, but when the rear lights are switched on the battery icon illuminates. The lights are not going dim after a period of time, so I suspect that the info panel is what is experiencing the voltage drop. Are there common areas to check on this series of machine?

XSKIER

Well, as most things go.... I showed up on site with a DVOM, and an handfuls of tools. At alternator stud to engine block. 12.4 @ rest, 14.4 after 10 seconds of idle, 14.4 with all lights on, 14.4 with all lights and heater on high. Operated for one hour in this way and no battery light. So, if the tools are on site the problems are resolved?

XSKIER

The battery light is back, this time with flashing exclamation and audible alarm. I suspect over voltage, because adding electrical load and reducing RPM silences the alarm. Will replace alternator and update.