• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

247b blow by concern

Rocky1315

Hi, this is my first time posting on here so please point me in the right direction if im doing this wrong.

I have a 2006 247b cat that has around 3100 hrs. Always been up to date on maintenance since i'v owned it (around 1800hrs). Iv noticed over the past couple hundred hours it feels like its loosing a little bit of power, start ups are tough and you have to run the glow plugs regardless of the temp outside and it will puff a cloud of smoke when started but goes away immediately. It does not appear to be burning oil(at least not enough to notice), i think it's burning a little bit of coolant but nothing crazy(maybe 1qt every couple hundred hours at the absolute most). I noticed it has a significant amount of blow by. Any ideas what could be going on? What could be creating so much blow by?

Thanks!

Rocky1315

Attached is a pic of the oil sample results from the last oil change(about 50 hours ago)

Attachments

• IMG_3724 (1).jpg
    IMG_3724 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've seen problems with individual glow plugs not working. You might start there first. The oil sample doesn't show anything that stands out. Loosing power is usually fuel related. I don't remember if there is a sump drain in the fuel tank but it might be something to check. Fuel and air filters are the other power killers.
Good Luck