1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

240Blc Excavator wont start below 40 degrees

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by joyryd, Oct 9, 2019.

1. joyryd

joyryd Member

Hi looking for some thoughts my volvo starts great above 48 to 50 degrees 40 and below for get about it. She will crank but no firing. I will crank her for a while normally on a diesel you will see smoke coming out the exhaust, but nothing.I think it has a fuel back feed problem. I put a ball valve after the water separator to eliminate that but still the same issue.

2. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Check your preheat element and fuse. Probably not functioning
    I'm assuming, no error codes

3. joyryd

joyryd Member

Relay is good and element works it gets hot to the touch after several minutes.
    No error codes. over 50 degrees it starts perfectly.

4. Former Wrench

Former Wrench Senior Member

Road Construction Permit Analyst
    How long since the valve lash has been adjusted? If out of time, no or hard start will result.

5. joyryd

joyryd Member

since i have had the machine it hasn't been checked. the problem only happens when its cold. above 50 it start quick no hesitation.

6. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    I can't see drain back occurring in a temp related scenario but let's troubleshoot against fuel. Do you have a fuel water separator in the swing area or is it in the pump room. If it is near the swing box, I would check the rubber hose from the tank to the filter head. From the factory, that hose was prone to failure. Dry rot and cracking were common. I would replace it since bulk hose is cheap. Next thing, the water separator bowl. Make absolutely sure you have a good bowl to filter seal. If you have the ability to gauge fuel pressure at the fuel rail, you want to see at least 65 psi.

uffex likes this.
  7. uffex

uffex Senior Member

Admin
    Good day
    Attached may be helpful
    Kind regards
    Uffex

Attached Files:

8. joyryd

joyryd Member

The Machine has been on a remote job site all summer. I will have back in the shop this weekend. Probably going to change all the fuel lines and water separator housing. I hope it fixes it or the next thing is a espar heater. Can any one tell me where the fuel check valve is on this unit. Thanks

9. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    The part number in blue. New number is 20405847.

Attached Files:

10. joyryd

joyryd Member

Thanks