• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2014 Gmc 2500hd vs 2014 Ford F-250 Powerstroke

roadbuilder6

Hi Guys. We are looking at getting a new truck. Right now for the personal Truck we have a Gmc Sierra 1500. And looking to upgrade too a Chevy/Gmc 2500hd, or a ford F-250 PowerStroke. It would be 4x4. We already have an E-350 so we do have experience with fords, but we mostly have GM's. I wanted to get your guys opinions of the trucks, and MPG stuff like that. Thanks, John Gibson

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I'm a GM guy the Duramax is a proven engine and Ford doesn't have the best record lately. I haven't driven a brand new GM but had a F350 for a week. It was a nice truck but only got 7MPG pulling our 30' GN.

norite

I like my gm 2008 duramax, previously had a gm 6.2 p/u, a 4.3 gm vortec p/u. Haven't had a Ford since my 1977 F250 p/u with a 351 modified engine which the engine was wore out at 60 thousand miles.

My duramax is also much quieter than ford or dodge even on cold starts, I prefer the sound of the cummins in the dodges but I am sure the neighbours prefer the duramax.

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
The Duramax has a better long standing record but statistically the new PSD is doing very well. I would need to know more as to what the truck will be doing. Highway traveller I'd go GM, time spent on the jobsite, I'd go Ford. Ford's bodies and interiors have simply been built better for decades. It is a shame however, they haven't had a solid diesel since the 7.3.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
My 5.9 is coming up to 535,000 kms. 3500 4 door 4x4 dually

Starts and runs great.

New clutch at about 520,000, water pump the other day.

Best part is the milage at about 10.5L/100 kms (=22.4 USmpg)

Can only hope the current generation of the 6.7 is as good

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
2013 F350 CC LWB 4x4 6.7, bought it this year. There is a thread about it on here but that's a whole 'nuther story.:rolleyes:

The 6.7 is one hell of a motor so far - strong, fast and efficient. On the highway with 90 gals of off-road, loaded toolbox, 2 guys and a bunch of other crap in the back I get 16-17 mpg running 75-80. I have been working 50 miles away for the last two weeks and I have consistently got this MPG, I calculated it too.;) Current odometer - 8500 miles we'll see how it goes.

The truck is one hell of a puller. 28' goose with T250, bucket, forks and brushcat (with all the other stuff as listed above) pulls it like a dream and gets 10 mpg around town.

It's the strongest pickup I have ever owned. I have owned several 7.3's and many 6.0's and this engine will eat their lunch and dinner. I still have one 7.3 in a F250 and it's just not a fair fight to compare them.:cool2

Now I might be :soapbox this engine before it's over but so far so go. I researched this platform extensively before purchasing and it seems like it's a good engine. Ford has been building their own diesels overseas for years for all those models we don't get here in the US.:cool:

1redneck58

Duramax versus the others

I've have 3 Duramaxs in my family. Several friends, have Fords, & Dodges, 6.0, 6.9, 7.3, 5.9, &....... For performance, & fuel efficiency, the Duramax, just can't be beat. The cummins, is a good engine. However, any diesel, that has anything other than a manual transmission, or an Allison, is bound to fail. Ford & Dodge, have what is a modified car transmission. Check it out.

redneckchevy9

Occupation
Draftsman/Boom Truck Driver
we just got a new Ford f350 last year, which we put a 10' flatbed on with gooseneck hitch so we can haul our 20', 25' & 30' trailers around from jobsite to jobsite for our contractors. One day, I weighed around 36,000 - well overweight I know! I had around 16,000on the trailer & that new 6.7 pulled it like it was nothing! I was running 70 and couldn't even feel that trailer behind me. For us, it has been a great truck- once that boost builds up, it will put you to the back of the drivers seat.

grandpa

Lol,,, the people that compare their guberment motors trucks to the Fords apparently "haven't driven a Ford lately". I think Ford snuck up on the competition and blew past them,,, . And as far as being quiet, Ford is setting the bar in that category now. I've got 100,000 miles on the new 6.7 and have not had any problems what so ever.

Oxbow

I've have 3 Duramaxs in my family. Several friends, have Fords, & Dodges, 6.0, 6.9, 7.3, 5.9, &....... For performance, & fuel efficiency, the Duramax, just can't be beat. The cummins, is a good engine. However, any diesel, that has anything other than a manual transmission, or an Allison, is bound to fail. Ford & Dodge, have what is a modified car transmission. Check it out.

I never ever wanted an automatic transmission, but the new ones hold load backs so much better than manuals that I have since changed my mind. My 08 F350 has 170000 miles with no problems. We pull a gooseneck trailer hauling our 287C and attachments grossing 30,000lbs. frequently and could not be happier with the transmission. I know of no "modified car transmission" that would hold up to that. We also live in the mountains, so it is not all flat land hauling. All of the new pickups are phenominal relative to what we were driving 30 years ago, and GM/Dodge/Ford are all good. My objection with the Chevy's is the independent fron suspension - nice ride but too many moving parts to wear out for me.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

I have owned many Fords with autos, 9 to be exact. I have had only one transmission failure, that was an '03 with less than 10 k miles on it. Ford had a new trans in it in 3 days. Don't know what the failure was but the trans was shipped back to Ford.

I would hardly call hd pickup truck transmissions modified car versions.:rolleyes:

FSERVICE

I have owned many Fords with autos, 9 to be exact. I have had only one transmission failure, that was an '03 with less than 10 k miles on it. Ford had a new trans in it in 3 days. Don't know what the failure was but the trans was shipped back to Ford.

I would hardly call hd pickup truck transmissions modified car versions.:rolleyes:

I CAN say with KNOWING the chief enengeer for the drive train of FORD personally!!!! they use the SAME transmission in the F250,F350,F450,& the F550 so I don't know how HD it can be!!! lol

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I CAN say with KNOWING the chief enengeer for the drive train of FORD personally!!!! they use the SAME transmission in the F250,F350,F450,& the F550 so I don't know how HD it can be!!! lol

They have always used the same model autos across the superduty model lines, no breaking news story here. :rolleyes:

:cool2

Last edited:

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
even when chevy and gmc had there 1 1/4 ton trucks they had the same engine and trans combo as the regular 3/4 and 1 ton trucks

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
Rear end ratios are where the differences likely begin.

and suspension the 1 1/4 tons had solid axles with king pins in the front, tiny 10 lug bolt pattern and a few other things changed

pondo

How about brakes? I have been chewing thru brakes on regularly on my 2008 F250, rear brakes only lasted 17 months and less than 30000 kms. I regularly tow 10 000 lbs : BC E32 plus buckets and attachments or dump trailer with fill or gravel. Trailers all have brakes on both axels and regularly service...
Used different Mechanics for service and brake replacement hoping to find different result.
At least once brake calipers were seized on.
Any comments?
Thxs

Last edited:

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner

Pre 03 the Ford transmissions left much to be desired. Since the inception of the Torque Flite trannys your comment doesn't hold water. There are many 6.0 and later motors that have been built to the hilt and the trannies have stood up to them with simple tuning. The Allisons will need hard parts with 50 additional HP.