• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2013 Volvo MC 110C, A pain in the keaster

BigGuy610

Occupation
Manufacturing Manager
I will start with the basic info on the machine first. I purchased this machine from an online auction. It said in the description that it had been filled up with gas and didn't run anymore. I put the min bid in thinking that if in the unlikely event that I would win it that I could fix it easily enough and use it for some small stuff I had to do and sell it. So to cut to punch line, no one else bid on it. I won it and have been the proud owner of this boat anchor for about 2 years. If you want to point out what genius I am you can save it cause my wife reminds me all the time.

The short story is so far I have flushed the fuel system, pulled the engine, replaced the high pressure fuel pump (common rail) and put then engine back in and tried to get it to start. No such luck. engine turns over fine, I hear the low pressure fuel pump working but even after cranking for quite a while it doesn't even give me a sputter. I checked compression and have around 390 psi on cylinders 2, 3, and 4. Cylinder 1 had 230 psi. Judging from the pile of starting fluid cans in the cab I am hoping the rings just might be all washed down with starting fluid and I might get enough compression back for it to work if I can get it to fire on the other cylinders... or at very least I should be able to get it to fire on the other cylinders and then figure out what to do with cylinder 1.

I originally thought this needed a special Volvo (or JCB) reader to get the codes off the machine and I don't have one so I didn't try. Since installing the engine and trying to start it I found the area in the menu with the error codes. I have 3 error codes: P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction, and P0098 Intake air temperature sensor 2 (IAT2) has an open circuit in the sensor circuit. Since the MAP sensor has the IAT sensor as part of it I replaced it and and tried to start it again. Turns over but no ignition what so ever. The error code didn't go away either.

My general strategy at this point is to check for fuel pressure at the injector, and a pulse going to the injector (already checked compression above). While looking for good ways to check those things I am also trying to figure out why my error codes didn't go away after replacing my MAP/AIT sensor. My thought process there is check wiring harness and if not that then the ECU.

Questions:
1. The biggest one is does anyone know how I can access the service information for this machine. I have spent a lot of time looking for wiring diagrams, how to reset the error codes, and lots of other specifications on pressures and voltages and can find much. I did pay $35 for what was advertised as a service manual on PDF online. It had about 4000 pages of various Volvo construction equipment but only about 20 pages pertaining to a machine like mine with a mechanical fuel pump. I have asked the Volvo dealer for info but that has not resulted in much.

2. Does any know how to reset the error codes on this unit. I have not been able to find anything on this.

3. If after resetting the error codes they don't go away, I am thinking of testing the wiring harness between the MAP/IAT and the ECU. Since I have not been able to find a wiring diagram I will just check each of the 4 wires at the MAP/IAT to the plugs on the ECU with continuity until I locate each of the pins and ground. After that I will look for shorts between those pins and other pins. Kind of crude but this is the best idea I have at the moment. If they all checkout good then I will have to figure out how to test the ECU. If anyone has any insight on this it is much appreciated.

4. I would like to confirm I have fuel pressure and an injection signal from the ECU to the injector. I can get a O-scope if I need to check this but first I was going to hook up my multimeter with the V DC Max setting and see if it is fast enough to confirm the injection signal. This might be a long shot. If you know anything about this let me know.

5. The other half of this is fuel pressure. Since this is a common rail fuel injection system I expect the the fuel pressure around 1750 PSI. Those high pressure test kits are expensive. I am looking for an alternative method, a place that rents them, or a do-gooder in the San Diego area that would loan one to a guy with a Volvo lawn ornament that is slowly crushing him to death.

Very much appreciate any feed back, help, or just general criticisms in all of my poor decision making.

Details if it helps.
2013 Volvo MC 110C with the EcoMax 444 TA4-55 S1.

Product Identification Number
GEO110SSTC2206006

Engine Serial Number
SL 320/40635 00821713

20190708_130755.jpg

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If memory serves , #1 would always have low compression. The intake elbow from the charged air cooler would deteriorate and subsequently dust the engine. Of course, #1 right there first in line.
#1 you can ask here for specifics, some guys are dealer techs with access. Other than that, you're probably looking at a couple hundred or more for a proper service manual.
#2 if the error is corrected, it goes inactive and shuts up. Its still in history, just not squawking at you when you turn the key.
#3 of the four wires, one will be 5volts, one will be ground. The other 2 will be return signals for the monitored parameter. So, if you take your 5v and short to IAT your error should change, the same should happen for MAP . Yes, crude but it works in absence of a proper service manual.
#4 & 5 now we're getting into touchy stuff. I believe the cranking pressures are much higher than 1750, i want to say 5-6000. I would figure out how to split your fuel returns and monitor the volume. Off each component will be a return. The returns will all merge to a common point to return to tank. Your task is to split the common rail from the cylinder head and high / low pressure fuel pumps. I'll bet a nickel. those injectors are hurt, allowing excess return fuel bleeding the rail pressure straight to tank.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yea, I think you can count on the injectors are in bad shape. I would try and find a JCB dealer for help. I wouldn't expect much help coming from a Volvo dealer, it doesn't appear to me that Volvo dealer's support this skid steer line to any degree.

BigGuy610

Occupation
Manufacturing Manager
Thanks for the replies.
Fun - This is great feedback. Knowing what to look for the MAP sensor will help a lot. I didn't realize the pressure was that high. While turning the engine over to start the return flow should just be a drip right? If it is a steady flow that is too much?

KSSS - That would be constant with my experiences with the dealer so far.

BigWrench55

I have access to service information for volvo equipment. I looked for some answers but there is virtually no service information at all for this machine. It appears that volvo does not support this equipment at all. This is the best that I can get for you. The rest of the service manual is basically a parts changing guide.

Attachments

• MC110C.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 13

BigGuy610

Occupation
Manufacturing Manager
Paul - Thank you for the codes. That helps. That is a Bummer, I was hoping that there was a bunch of information out there that I was just not able to find. It really does look like Volvo phoned this one in. Just a Volvo nameplate on JCB equipment. It looks like they stopped making them around 2015.

BigGuy610

Occupation
Manufacturing Manager
Update!!! I have not been working on this as much as I would have liked but I have made some progress.

Injectors-
I took funwithfuel advice and split return line from the injectors off into a mason jar. I cranked for about 20 seconds and had a steady stream of fuel coming out. Based on the previous comments on this thread that is far too much fuel from the common rail injectors. Another discovery is that the color and smell of the fuel do not look right (You can kinda see the color in the video below). I had already drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter and the high pressure fuel pump but I must have missed some stored volume of contaminated fuel. I will be draining the tank and pumping fresh diesel through it again. I am still planning on looking for the injector pulse with an oscilloscope cause I do not think it has been injecting fuel at all. After cranking the engine over several times and for long durations I have never got so much as a sputter or the smell of fuel.

As for my error codes P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction, and P0098 Intake air temperature sensor 2 (IAT2) has an open circuit in the sensor circuit. Using my multimeter I checked for continuity from the plug for MAP/IAT sensor to the two ECU plugs. I found the plugs 4 pin positions and checked each one of them for short to any of the other pins and to ground. Everything checked out, pins have good continuity and not shorts to anything else. I did however forget to do funwithfuel's suggestion and short the IAT or MAP and look for code change. I will do that next time I working on it.

The only other thing I was considering was trying to figure out which sensor on the common rail is the pressure sensor and trying to get the voltage/resistance off of that in order to see if I am building enough pressure during cranking. I have attached pictures of the common rail at the bottom, two sensors on one side and one on the other.

Since we are at it I also included a video of a home made oxy-lance we used to remove a pesky seized pin. Fun with fire!

Fuel from injector return line

Home made oxy-lance for pesky pin removal

20210824_170149.jpg 20210818_180728.jpg