• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2013 NH L223 crank no start, fuel solenoid

D-bird

Good evening! I have a 2013 NH L223 with about 1,400 hours. It’s been running great for me, until recently. Had to replace a battery because it would be too low to start in the cold after only a few days sitting. After replacing the battery, using it to move bales, it would occasionally stall momentarily then rev back up. Happened a few too many times for me, so I parked it. About a week later, it wouldn’t start at all (crank but no start). Dug into my schematics and I don’t have a signal coming to my fuel cutoff solenoid (checked at pin 26 on my instrument cluster). I have power on Pin 7, but it isn’t transferring to Pin 26 (appears to all be fuel solenoid circuit). Unplugging the harness at the solenoid and applying power, it starts up fine. I have no codes on the display, and the instrument cluster Pin 26 to ground (Pin 20) shows 221 kOhm (should still be good per the manual). The instrument cluster wakes when I sit in the seat, and the seat belt indicator acknowledges when I click my seat belt. My pins at the cluster connection all look fine. image.jpg I’m a bit at a loss at this point... not sure why the instrument cluster won’t pass the signal along to the fuel cutoff solenoid. Any ideas would be much appreciated - thanks!

D-bird

...Also, any experience with removing the harness from the solenoid and just hot wiring (fused) 12v to the solenoid for a pinch hit to get bales moved. I think I'll need to make sure I use the solenoid to shut off the engine first before turning the key (shut off injector pump before shutting off electrical lift pump with the key), but I'd like to consider any other consequences before doing this...gotta get some cows fed tonight :(. Thanks!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If it’s a simple 2 wire solenoid, sure, no problem.. hot wire OR take it off & stuff the hole w paper towels..
IF it’s a 3 wire solenoid don’t do it.. take it off..
In a 3 wire set up a full 12v & lots of amps are used to pull the coil in.. then it drops off & switches to a lower voltage w a lot less amps to hold it..
SO.. if u hot wire a 3 wire solenoid, you’ll be buying a new one before the 1st bale is speared..
I hope that helps..

D-bird

Thanks @thepumpguysc - it's a simple solenoid with only one wire. It receives a signal through the single wire and grounds through the motor (so like a 2 wire set-up). I think I'll opt for hot wiring it for the short term ;). Thanks again!

Attachments

• Fuel Solenoid Circuit.pdf
    160.6 KB · Views: 23

D-bird

Took to a dealer and they confirmed it was a bad Instrument Cluster.... I wish I had a way to communicate with my skid steer computer like I can for my cars, could have saved a bit of money and diagnostic time :(. Thanks for your help!