• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2012 international 4400 no power and black smoke

bscottking21

FUnwithfuel. Sorry I just saw where you asked how much I’m pulling. It’s around 25,000lbs trailer/Hay together not including the truck.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Yeah, but how big of a sail are you pulling. It doesn't explain the black smoke. Only a damaged DPF will allow that, in my opinion.
25k doesn't sound all that terrible. Considering most of those trucks were delivery vehicles, they weren't designed for huge, oversized loads. I kinda think you have a cracked DPF combined with not enough oomph to get things done.

mekanik

There is an update on the crankcase vent that has a vent to atmosphere instead of venting to the intake system.
There are 2 different crankcase vents depending on the vent coming out of the valve cover. Navistar also supplies a de-coking kit for the turbos.

There is an electronic throttle body on the intake manifold. It may have failed and is not opening causing your black smoke problem.