• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2012 international 4400 no power and black smoke

bscottking21

I’ve got a 2012 international 4400 with the maxxforce dt(466) Motor and the MD3060 trans configured to a 5spd. Truck has no Power when very lightly loaded plus blows black smoke under wot. Truck only has 52,000 miles. Any suggestions?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Any change in how it sounds? As mentioned, turbo is one possibility, boost piping would be a simpler solution. Check all your big hoses, pipes and clamps.

bscottking21

It’s a new to me truck. Only 52,000 miles. Not sure how it ran before. Feels fine unloaded. Just when I hooked up my 40’ Hay trailer empty it wouldn’t hardly do 55mph.. it has the dpf system so wasn’t sure if it should be smoking like it is or not.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
No knocking right? Only under load you get smoke . You hear any loud rushing noise? Did you check the big pipes and clamps under the hood?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
These engines set up with a Waste gate on intake boost? Could it be stuck in Dump position?

bscottking21

1EBF4588-C2C7-44CD-90D0-2282BC7DD3FF.jpeg 002F6AE4-4E62-449F-B304-0F0D1824EB22.jpeg 45DD3AF8-A7C2-4AB9-A2DB-DC28E23E3CCC.jpeg No rushing noises that I can hear. Did notice today that I have oil leaking from the intercooler on top of the motor. Pics attached. Not sure if maybe a turbo going bad.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Waste Gate diverts the excess flow of exhaust against intake pressure sensing or thru a controlled pathway around the turbo and Out, not an open dump. Will be a linkage system on the exhaust side make sure that is intact and free.

Reactions: DB2

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Black smoke equals over fueling which means either too much fuel or not enough air in/out hence turbo, air cleaner, wastegate and etc it’s plugged somewhere with that low of mileage. Wonder if it can be clogged DPF:eek:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Waste gate is motor operated on these where may have to disconnect the motor no snags tight spots and should go full closed

Last edited:

bscottking21

Could it happen if the dpf is cracked? I’ll check the wastegate as well. I know if you run it up and keep it in the higher rpms by shifting manually it seem to be ok. But if you leave it in auto mode it shifts early and falls on its face. But even in 5th gear, if you floor it, just blows black smoke and won’t down shift hardly and has no power

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So, are you saying that its lugging and not downshifting properly? I thought you had a manual. If you're in high gear and she dont downshift, you're gonna puke black smoke. Its fueling its @$$ off trying to spool up, your in high gear choking it back.
Thinking maybe a faulty speed sensor not letting trans know where its at.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
It used to be you could press cruise on and set at the same time for 3-5 seconds then the error codes would flash out in CEL or MIL or just display on odometer