• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2012 Cat 259 B3 Losing power when running low on fuel

poky1234

Hello, I have a Cat 259 B3 .I'm having an ongoing problem with the machine losing power. Seems to happen more when fuel tank is at 1/4 or lower but sometimes does the same thing at 1/2 or 3/4 tank. . Seems like it is starving for fuel. I have changed the fuel filter, blown the line out to the tank, drained the tank, changed the fuel cap. Still acting the same. When I remove the fuel filter to check for sediment,there is quite a bit of suction released. When I put it back on and run it , it seems to be ok for a few minutes then starts bogging out again. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks,
Doug

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
When you drained the tank, did you pull access plates and swab it out by hand. Sounds like you may have floating debris in there getting sucked up. You may also want to remove the fuel line from tank to water separator and replace. Then cut the old one in half the full length. See what ya got.

poky1234

Hi , Thanks for reply. I didn't know there is access plates on fuel tank. I only found the drain plug. When I drained it there was a little debri, but not much. Where is the access plate?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If you have suction on the sed. bowl/filter that means the fuel cant get there & the lift pump is sucking as hard as it can.. SO.. you have a clog somewhere from the tank to the filter. possibly a collapsed rubber lines.. you can blow back thru it but it will collapse under suction..

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
On top of the fuel filter is the little p.o.s. electric lift pump. Start there...

poky1234

Thanks for responses guys. Removed the fuel line from the electric pump (on top of the filter). Blew air into it back to tank. It was clear. Drained tank. It was pretty clean. A Cat mechanic suggested checking the inlet port on the base of the pump for a blockage there. No blockage. Only thing left, I can think of, could be the pump. It doesn't bog out all the time. Usually only when fuel is below 1/2. Also, A couple of people mentioned a collapsed suction line . Checked while machine was bogging out. No collapse. The line running down into fuel tank is steel so there wouldn't be a collapsing issue there.
Thanks

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Your sucking air. A lift pump might help. I wouldn't bank on it long term.
Just a thought on this one. Can you temporarily install a short, say 6 inch, section of clear hose between the inlet side of the lift pump and the suction line to the tank? Then when it starts acting up watch to see if is air in the fuel.

Actually Cat did sell a clear plastic section of heavy wall tubing just for this purpose! Attached is the Special instruction on it's use. A similar tool could be made with a little imagination.

Attachments

• 2P8278.pdf
    251.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just thought, you said you changed the fuel cap, does this cap have the filter/vent built into it like most Cats? Or is the tank vented some other way?

poky1234

Hi Guys, The fuel cap is a new Cat cap. We have installed a clear inline fuel filter this morning. We are working the machine today, so when it acts up we'll look for air in the clear filter. Will get back to you all later today.
Thanks

poky1234

We installed the clear inline fuel filter. We noticed that when we installed it , the suction hose was stretched quite tight. installing the inline filter has added extra length to the line. We have worked machine all day yesterday and today and have had no problems. Down below quarter tank now. Maybe it was sucking a bit of air when the line was stretched so tight.

poky1234

Yeah, Cat told us there should have been an inline filter on that hose. Someone must have removed a dirty inline filter and instead of replacing it, they stretched the hose to fit without it. Down below 1/4 tank now and still running great.

poky1234

you are definitely right but the sad thing is, I bought it from A Cat dealer who rent machines. Their service people came out 3 times and couldn't find the problem. This machine was in their rental fleet. They claim they maintain their fleet on a regular basis, so why was it missing the inline filter?? They kept saying someone dumped stuff in the tank and it was constantly getting sucked up. They suggested blowing out the line from the pump back to the tank and draining the tank to clear the debri. We saw at this time that the suction line was quite tight. We kept blowing the line and draining tank and found nothing. Then finally someone suggested to try replacing the inline filter. Thats when we discovered there wasn't one. Put one in with a little added hose and problem solved.

Want to thank all you guys that helped me. Doug

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What is the Serial Number prefix of your machine..? I'd like to have a look at the fuel lines on it to see what's the deal with the inline filter, because I picked a few options at random and couldn't find one with an inline filter in it. I'll post up an illustration of what it looks like according to the Parts Manual.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think this is it. Don't beat up on the dealer's techs too much, I don't think your particular machine is even listed in the article title if it is a YYZ-prefix 259B3 as I think it might be.
The inline filter is certainly not a standard fitting on any of the listed models but according to the article it can be used as a diagnostic tool for identifying whether low engine power is caused by fuel contamination. Maybe at some time your machine had one of these filters fitted then it was removed for whatever reason, leaving a hose a bit short.

Attachments

• SEPD1923 - Inline Fuel Filter.pdf
    155 KB · Views: 36