• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2008 cat 272C having controll issues

1ajs

when i turn on my cat 272C skid steer 2300hrs
i get a yellow triangular light that blinks and i cant use my bucket but can drive around in mode 1 if i put it in mode 2 i cant drive around but can move my amrs up and down but cant adjust the angle of my bucket

had a heavy equipment mechanic look he thought was the altinator so orderd one changed it and the fluids/ filters and air filters didnt fix he gave up and left

scared to call cat being in a remote place

1ajs

only the one light thats on the left side besides the 1 or 2 and Park when i have the break on

1ajs

2g8c0Z.jpg

Aql2ZS.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Need to know one way or the other, because it all depends on one or more of the other lights NOT working when the self-test is done.
Put another way. The yellow "Master Fault" exclamation point light in your photo normally lights up along with one or more other indicator on that same panel to give you an idea which system or systems is playing up. If one or more of the other indicators are not working then it is a case of fixing them first and see where that takes you.

Nige

Sounds like a failed joystick sensor.
That was my thought also, but I wanted to make sure if there wasn't a warning light not working that might point elsewhere.

The clue is in changing from #1 to #2 joystick pattern different things work. So the systems at the business end are all working but aren't getting signals from the joystick.

1ajs

Right hand joystick does nothing sept the button for tools when in 2 mode and nothing in 1 sept that button

Nige

That was the last possibility. So now the only option is to get ET hooked up to it and see what Diagnostic Codes are Active. As HMC said above it sounds like a position sensor in the base of the joystick has gone AWOL. The bad news is those sensors are not available separately and the fix is a new base @ around $750.

1ajs

Is there a way to pull codes with out dealing with the cat dealer who wants2-4K to come out and pull them

Nige

Is there a way to pull codes with out dealing with the cat dealer who wants2-4K to come out and pull them
The only way I know of is using ET or the auxiliary (optional extra) panel in the top RH corner of the cab that your machine doesn’t have. The options I see that you have are:-
Dealer visit.
Independent mechanic who has ET.
Take a chance and replace the joystick base with a new one and hope you pick the right one.

1ajs

just pulled every fuse and cleaned them alarm went away works but.... now when I lift it creeps down like it’s getting a signal from right stick as can hear it sending fluid to it to go down. also now I cant switch to mode 2 till it trips that alarm again. can get rid of the alarm while operating by pulling fuse 9 and putting back into place while running but only good for a minut or 2.prolly not best work around but I’ll have to pull the stick and look I gues. Txs for a direction I think my other thought may of confirmed the place to look