• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2008 cat 272c arms won't lift

1ajs

Hi I got a 272c that when i engage the stick won't lift does not even make the pump make noise responds to lowering or tilting the bucket and will drive around. in mode 1 if I go to mode 2 still same Symptom.wont lift the arms. Will do everything else.

Pulled the joystick out to inspect the sensor still like new was changed last yr as it was chewed up.
Checked all the fuses all the relays appear to work.

I'm guessing this is prolly a selinoid has 2300 hours on it.
Nearest cat dealer is a 4hr drive.

Any advice on trouble shooting would be nice.

No warning lights are present on the panel like last yr when the stick went bad. There's no computer display in this unit and no code reader on site still need to find one for decent price.

Told when it stopped working it started being intermittent for few minutes then stopped responding to the joysticks request for lifting.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You can get into the Diagnostic Codes using the procedure on the attachment. Do that and see what you come up with, especially in the form of any Active Codes (Sub-Mode 1).
same Symptom.wont lift the arms. Will do everything else.
Does it respond to bucket tilt (both forward and back) commands from the joystick.?
If I understand you correctly the bucket will not raise but it responds correctly to a lower command from the joystick.?

Attachments

• Diagnostic Codes.pdf
    864.2 KB · Views: 14

1ajs

I don't have the display on the right side that's all blanked out.

Yes the bucket will tilt up or down. Just won't lift the arms doesn't matter if I'm in mode 1 or 2 I can't get it to lift the arms no change in pitch of idle or pump when trying to engage the upwards motion

heymccall

Screenshot_20220330-002636_Chrome.jpg
Pulling up the circled handle opens the valve at the arrow, disabling the oil supply to the boom up circuit, and connects said circuit direct to the tank, so, if pulled up, any attempt to raise the boom would NOT load the pump, hence...no noise.

1ajs

View attachment 256069
Pulling up the circled handle opens the valve at the arrow, disabling the oil supply to the boom up circuit, and connects said circuit direct to the tank, so, if pulled up, any attempt to raise the boom would NOT load the pump, hence...no noise.
Finaly got out to look it's all the way down so don't think its that.

Told they were dumping a load of snow when it quit.

heymccall

You could check each of the valve control solenoid coils, looking for one that is open or shorted. You'll have to compare them electrically to each other, as I dont have the spec. If one is different, it is suspect..
Otherwise, you're gonna have to get Cat ET hooked up to it.

Screenshot_20220518-203543_Chrome.jpg

Nige

You could check each of the valve control solenoid coils, looking for one that is open or shorted. You'll have to compare them electrically to each other, as I dont have the spec. If one is different, it is suspect..
With a Serial Number I could be more confident but picking a 272C RED-prefix machine at random with S/N above 2116 the resistance for those 4 solenoids is listed as 2.2 ± 0.2 ohms.

Nige

No rush. It's just that if it gets to that point finding information is far easier with a Serial Number.
no idea about cats et thing
Basically because you don't have an on-board diagnostic panel as per your reply in post #3 above the only other way of finding what Diagnostic Codes may be present in the machine is to get Cat ET diagnostic software hooked up to it. That is either a job for a dealer or maybe for a local independent mechanic who has ET. There are a few about but I have no idea about your particular area.

1ajs

No rush. It's just that if it gets to that point finding information is far easier with a Serial Number.
Basically because you don't have an on-board diagnostic panel as per your reply in post #3 above the only other way of finding what Diagnostic Codes may be present in the machine is to get Cat ET diagnostic software hooked up to it. That is either a job for a dealer or maybe for a local independent mechanic who has ET. There are a few about but I have no idea about your particular area.

there is no mechanics im in the bush remote canada

1ajs

If it turns out to be a bad selnoid would it be possible to steel one from the tool output since it never gets used?

1ajs

Found a map of the seslnoids there's 3 more I didn't see the 2 bottom ones are for the arms if I jumper the plugs to the opposite selnoid the up motion works for down but down still does nothing.

I've been able to prove my joy stick works and that I'm getting signal to the selnoid

There's no yellow triangle I les I leave one of the selnoids unplugged

Also I see my hydronic filters leaking can't seem to get it to seal slow drip

And that pull Cable mentioned earlyer will not pull up its all the way down as far as I can tell

Lubed the throttle pedal as it sticks

So at this point I think it's the lifting selnoid as I don't hear the pump even speed up if I try to engage