• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2006 New Holland LS170 oil cooler line blew - tips needed

BobbyP

Hi all,
I have an old NH that's been running great and the other day I noticed I couldn't lift the boom, followed by a trail of oil. Well, by the time I parked it oil was coming out of every orifice and making a huge mess. After opening the back door and hood I could hear it pissing out but couldn't see it. Finally I was able to grab the one and only hydraulic line there under the engine/on top of the fuel tank and shift it around and the noise changed immediately so I'm pretty positive it's the oil cooler line that blew. My reservoir is empty. :( I saw a post here and there about replacing this line but could use any more info and tips in general on cracking the connections open. Since it's a 2006 and this line probably never changed I'm thinking it's going to be a pain. This is my first machine so not very experienced with hydraulic connections, etc.
The connection to the oil cooler is on the right side (from the back) and in a pretty tight spot. I removed the pan underneath the engine and although the connection is right there it's still in a bit of an awkward position. I noticed there's an opening from the back behind the door where I can see underneath the radiator directly to the connection but again it's pretty tight. Also, I'm worried about twisting the nipple off the oil cooler so need to make sure I use two wrenches, but still, any tips on this? Will heating (propane torch) the connection help if it's stuck?
The connection to the control valve looks to be in a tough spot as well, so what do you guys usually do? Is it just experience? I mean, I've worked on all my cars, my house, etc. but for some reason this seems to scare me a bit, probably because it's new to me.

I'd appreciate any general tips you guys have and especially if you've changed this specific hose before. Thanks!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Almost all cooler assemblies have a built in Hex for Holding the cooler pipe to support it while removing the line, using a single wrench will twist or break the cooler nipple.