• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2005 C-13 twin turbo question

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Friend of mine owns an International quad dump with a C-13 twin turbo. The muffler unit is starting to go bad. IH want $4700.00 for it. They claim it is an emissions part.
My KW is 2006 with a C-13 twin turbo and I have no emissions ?
Can he just fit up a single muffler and continue on without this after thought emissions ?
I can get his serial number if need be.
Thanks in advance.
Ron

Shimmy1

I had a 2005 T6 for about 5 min. about 5 yrs ago. If I remember correctly, the muffler is a simple catalytic converter. I believe you can pull it off, the dealer cannot because it is technically an emissions part. I would think your KW would have one too. I know in CA you couldn't get away with pulling it off, technically not anywhere legally, but we don't worry about technicalities.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Ron, is that the truck frame/VIN number or the Engine Serial Number..? It doesn't look like any Cat engine S/N I've ever seen.

The important part is the last 8 digits of the engine Serial Number. They will be of the form ABCxxxxx where in the case of a C13 on-highway truck engine "ABC" will be one of 6 possibilities - EMS, JAM, KCB, LEE, PRM, or S3C. The "xxxxx" will be a 5-digit number.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
yes Nige, that is his VIN.
I was not paying attention.
I will try to get the cat VIN.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
False alarm folks,
What a surprise ? He found out through a second dealer in the area that his engine is not a catalytic muffler exhaust and will now purchase the new part for 400 dollars vs. 4700 dollars.
No engine vin forthcoming.
Last time I try to help this guy.

Shimmy1

These dealers are all the same. Last winter the air compressor on our N14 wiped out. Cummins dealer called and said it was a Genuine Cummins compressor. $2800 for the compressor. Said they had it on the shelf. I said just leave it on the shelf and put a Bendix back on like the one that is on there. After much debate, and threatening to come in and straighten things out, they finally agreed to put a $600 re-man Bendix back on.

Dualie

first thing i did on my 06 ACERT c-15 was put the donaldson mufflers from a cummins N-14 on it and put the oxycats in the barn.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Also did it on my 2005 Paystar 5600i with a C13 Acert. Took that giant cat/con muffler off and replaced with a straight through Donaldson. Forget the part number but it was the one for the KT Cummins....has no baffles.

Still passed emissions test just fine. No one ever had any idea it was ever touched. No one I know kept the cat/con mufflers.

mike in idaho

False alarm folks,
What a surprise ? He found out through a second dealer in the area that his engine is not a catalytic muffler exhaust and will now purchase the new part for 400 dollars vs. 4700 dollars.
No engine vin forthcoming.
Last time I try to help this guy.
400 bucks? Around here we buy a 10 inch diameter truck muffler for 75-100 dollars.

Dualie

one of the best things i ever did for my ACERT motor was ditch the stupid oxycats and put the donaldson mufflers from the same Mode KW with a cummins. strait through design looks just like the stock oxycats on flow better, picked up a solid 1.5MPG too