• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2005 ASV RC100 or 2008 Cat 277C

Pair of Hounds

2005 ASV RC100 cab high flow has 2500 hrs. Looks good, tracks good tight and responsive. Owner claims that engine was rebuilt less than 100 hrs ago. Very little mulching and mainly grapple use for tree service. AC does not work... Price 17k maybe less..

2008 Cat 277C cab missing door standard flow has 3100 hrs. Looks good tight and responsive. Cat dealer trade in. Dealer claims in needs head gasket. Price 16k

What are your thoughts? pros cons, Use will be mainly standard flow brush cutting and mulching. The ASV is obviously better suited for mulching just dont know much about them and would love to hear feedback. thanks!

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
AVS looks like the better machine on paper.never owned one due to horror stories heard from others. I would Demo both as it was going to be used by you and perform a complete fluid analysis on both before one penny left my pocket. Those are fairly high hours and drive motors will set you back in the 10 k plus range....do the Demo and complete analysis on both...you will be very happy you did....a over felonious buyer most certainly is going to get burned on used. They are selling for a reason...good luck..

movindirt

If you're getting a machine for mulching and mowing I would up your entry price and look at a machine with slightly less hours, by time you fix the head gasket and put a door on the 277C you'll be into it for $22k or better. I'd have the ASV engine looked over by a competent mechanic and make sure it was really rebuilt, at that price range I would probably get the ASV over the Cat.

f311fr1

With any MTL machine (ASV, Terex, Cat 7 series) be prepared to spen 8-12K every 1200-1800 hours on the undercarrige. ASV RC seies AC are very hard to keep working. The RC100 is a higher HP machine than the 277. Does the ASV have a cab, and door?

movindirt

Your nuts if you spend 8-12k every 1,200- 1,800 hours on the undercarriage, thats taking it to the dealer and getting 100% of it replaced, which is not going to be needed at 1,800 hours. Your looking at a set of tracks and maybe a few idler wheels at 1,200 hours, probably replacing the rollers on the travel motors at 1,800 which is about $600 in parts and a few hours yourself. I would never spend that much for the undercarriage on a MTL at 1,800 hours.

f311fr1

I did my RC85 at 3200 hours. All new/rebuilt axels, wheels, tracks, under carrige hoses, sprocket rollers, pins and bushings. My RC100 at 1800 hours. All new Bair axels and wheels, tracks, under carrige hoses, pins and bushings. All work done in my barn with a couple of local high school boys for muscle. Tracks from CAT on a BUY GET ONE deal, factory parts from Track Loader Parts, Bair parts from Midwest Equipment. Hoses made in my barn with my Gates crimper. New nuts and bolts from the local Bolt and Screw house.