• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2004 John Deere 4.5 L Diesel Engine

clansing1

I am looking at a ditch witch trench that has a John Deere 2004 4.5 L Diesel Engine. I was wondering if this is a reliable engine. I know some of the skid steer motors made during this time had some problems. Thanks in advance.

nowing75

We have to vermeer trenchers that use that engine. We have had good luck with them,a bit hard to start in the winter but i think thats because of the drag of the pumps.

Jason

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
have several power tech 4.5's, and work on others. One thing to note is that some people do not run the proper antifreeze or replace at proper intervals, which cause pitting in the cylinder liners and contaminating the oil with coolant. The ph level should be monitored on regular basis, and adj accordingly. Few problems with rear seals before newer teflon one piece, and a couple of issues with injectors, but no real isssues that I've had to really address. Just good Pm's