• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2004 International 7300

materthegreater

I was offered a set of 24.5" wheels and tires. I currently have 11R22.5 tires.

First, I'm wondering if the wheel mounts are the same between the two sizes (I assume they are but this is my first truck so I'm not sure if center hole sizes are standardized. I know on pickup trucks they vary quite a bit). My quick tape measure comparison seems to say they are the same.

The 24.5" are 285/75R24.5 so they should be almost exactly the same height as 11R22.5. Any reason not to use them?

PXL_20230601_234229908.jpg

materthegreater

Thanks. I ordered the hex bit so once that comes in tomorrow I can try to get the bolt out.

What's your recommendation for fluid to use in the power steering system. The dealer just told me "regular power steering fluid, not transmission fluid".

materthegreater

There wasn't anything in there after the seal blew out o_O

The remnants were pretty dark like used gasoline motor oil. Definitely not ATF. I picked up a gallon of "regular power steering fluid" from Napa today.

materthegreater

ATF, Hydraulic oil, power steering fluid will all work. There should be a filter in the reservoir.
It wouldn't hurt to replace it, it's probably original.
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know there was a filter in there. I ordered a new one.

mekanik

Once you get the puller bolt as tight as you dare give the end of the puller bolt a good whack with a hammer. The arm should pop off. If you clean the bolt head that holds the pitman arm on it should have the torque spec stamped into it.

materthegreater

Tried that. Also tried rattling on it with an air hammer, and heating it and everything else I can think of. Maybe I need a bigger hammer

materthegreater

What does carried away mean? Red hot?

Even if I ruin the arm, I still need to get it off or I lose the core refund. I'm almost ready to start at it with a cutting wheel on the grinder...

materthegreater

Finally got it off! I heated it to about 1000 °F and with just the puller it wouldn't come off. Then a friend came by with some cold chisels and we drove them between the gear case and the pitman arm. The combination of that and heating to about 600 did the trick. Now I won't have to pay the core charge, or buy a new arm.

Thanks for all the help Terry!