• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2004 Genie Z45-25 man lift stalls out after start

Ricothebear

Occupation
Project manager
OK so good news and bad news, Good news.....the first code # 242 is gone away. Bad news, I still have code 537, and it still stalls I did some digging and found this manual, it really cleared up alot for me as to how these engines work. I found the code in there also.
Says:537 Throttle unable to open. So I'm going to have to test this TPS. I know with regular 3 wire tps sensors you test voltage as the tp is moved etc..
But these fancy bosch ones are dual sensors. So how the heck do I test that?
Anybody know an easy way to test it? There is 6 wires on it. I looked up the cost and it's a whopping 600 to replace so I want to be sure about it before ordering one.
Here is a link to the manual:
https://csapps.jlg.com/OnlineManuals/Manuals/Supplement Manuals/Engine manuals/Ford-EPM Module_3128159_11-01-02_English.pdf

Here is the part number for the tb
FORD 1U1L9E979BA

Ricothebear

Occupation
Project manager
Just a follow up on this. I ended up ordering a new throttle body (500$). I had no real way to test it so i figured ah what the hell. Sure as ****, she fired up and sounded....good. She idled for about 5 minutes and I shut her down. I was really happy. So I decided to put the rad back on and fill up the coolant. I started her up again and waited for the thermostat to open. All the sudden it shuts off...... (after i had already told everyone that I fixed it and how happy I was, but don't worry the ending to this story is still happy)
So I check the codes, the throttle body code is gone but now.....low oil pressure code(wow the tech was right.....but that doesn't make sense.......wait a sec.....) I went to look at the oil pressure sensor......and some idiot (me) forgot to plug it back in. :oops:
:D
So I've been using it for about 30 minutes now, all is well. She sounds much better and runs much smoother.
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to helping me out. I learned so much about this machine and other man lifts as well. It's all starting to make sense now.
I do hope this thread helps someone else one day.
I will list the reference material i used during my journey:
- Ford EPM manual (all the codes that i couldn't find in the genie manual were listed in here as well as very detailed troubleshooting tips and a great explanation of how the system works.
- Genie web site (helps to have the serial number of the machine you are working on) Lots of various repair manuals and wiring schematics
- JLG manuals (JLG also used the EPM module and for engines in their machines, good reference material on google)
- Ford ranger forums (the LRG 425 AKA 2.5L Lima engine was used in ford rangers 2000 ish, so I was able to see and learn where various items were on the engine itself, also you can cross reference most part numbers and save some cash)
Once again thank you everyone, I will certainly stick around to learn more on these forums.:)

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Just a follow up on this. I ended up ordering a new throttle body (500$). I had no real way to test it so i figured ah what the hell. Sure as ****, she fired up and sounded....good. She idled for about 5 minutes and I shut her down. I was really happy. So I decided to put the rad back on and fill up the coolant. I started her up again and waited for the thermostat to open. All the sudden it shuts off...... (after i had already told everyone that I fixed it and how happy I was, but don't worry the ending to this story is still happy)
So I check the codes, the throttle body code is gone but now.....low oil pressure code(wow the tech was right.....but that doesn't make sense.......wait a sec.....) I went to look at the oil pressure sensor......and some idiot (me) forgot to plug it back in. :oops:
:D
So I've been using it for about 30 minutes now, all is well. She sounds much better and runs much smoother.
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to helping me out. I learned so much about this machine and other man lifts as well. It's all starting to make sense now.
I do hope this thread helps someone else one day.
I will list the reference material i used during my journey:
- Ford EPM manual (all the codes that i couldn't find in the genie manual were listed in here as well as very detailed troubleshooting tips and a great explanation of how the system works.
- Genie web site (helps to have the serial number of the machine you are working on) Lots of various repair manuals and wiring schematics
- JLG manuals (JLG also used the EPM module and for engines in their machines, good reference material on google)
- Ford ranger forums (the LRG 425 AKA 2.5L Lima engine was used in ford rangers 2000 ish, so I was able to see and learn where various items were on the engine itself, also you can cross reference most part numbers and save some cash)
Once again thank you everyone, I will certainly stick around to learn more on these forums.:)
What was the url of the Ford forum that you used . I just had a genie with engine that had good oil pressure but the sensor would fail coming off high idle like if you were driving and going to stop.Low idle was fine.Sensor was no good .

Alan Caro

I think I have a Genie with the exact same problem, but when I was looking into the Throttle body on the manual i couldn’t find it, any chance someone has the manual for it? Same year model and engine

David Berthelot

Must be fate. I worked on one this morning cause the fuel tank, filters and lines were all vlogged and breaking up from old gas sitting. Got all that clean and good but started then dies. I worked on these before and know they are simple machines just intimidating at first but I poked and pulled and wiggled and found that the throttle body does not respond so it is always full choked and dies.
This story helped confirm my thinking and as always the cause is a bad ground 90% of the time . I would dare conclude the bad connection is what caused the throttle module to fail. So check your grounds and clean that battery weekly
Thanks