• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2003 JCB 3cx fuel issues

qserv

Hi All,
having some issues with my JCB 3cx which i recently purchased, it seems to be sucking air into the fuel somewhere before the sediment bowl, i can see bubbles constantly sucking through the bowl. Tracing the fuel lines back, its drawing fuel from the fitting at the bottom of the tank and the return is going into the top of the tank near were the fuel level sender is. Looking into the tank i noticed the return line actually has a filter basket on the end and hangs to the bottom of the tank, and notice the pick up has no filter at all, would i be right in assuming at some stage someone has mixed up the fuel pick up and return lines? i cant seem to find any diagrams showing how it should be setup, i even have the service manual but the its very vague when it comes to the fuel system unfortunatley, anyone out there familiar with this backhoe?? any help would be greatly appreciated as its doing my head in trying to find the issue.

AllDodge

Hi All,
having some issues with my JCB 3cx which i recently purchased, it seems to be sucking air into the fuel somewhere before the sediment bowl, i can see bubbles constantly sucking through the bowl. Tracing the fuel lines back, its drawing fuel from the fitting at the bottom of the tank and the return is going into the top of the tank near were the fuel level sender is. Looking into the tank i noticed the return line actually has a filter basket on the end and hangs to the bottom of the tank, and notice the pick up has no filter at all, would i be right in assuming at some stage someone has mixed up the fuel pick up and return lines? i cant seem to find any diagrams showing how it should be setup, i even have the service manual but the its very vague when it comes to the fuel system unfortunatley, anyone out there familiar with this backhoe?? any help would be greatly appreciated as its doing my head in trying to find the issue.

From your description I would say yes the lines are switched. Now after switching if you stall have the issue with air, take some fuel line and run it into a 5 gallon can straight from the transfer pump, and the return from the injection pump. If this fixes the issue then at least you know it's in the lines

Picker4

Been caught with one doing the same thing after changing fuel filter; the bowl wasn't sealing correctly and because its mounted up high it would not bleed properly. Have a close look.

qserv

Been caught with one doing the same thing after changing fuel filter; the bowl wasn't sealing correctly and because its mounted up high it would not bleed properly. Have a close look.

Had a pretty close look at the fuel bowl seal, it doesnt look like the leak if coming from there, can you confirm the lines for me at all? do you have access to one? fuel feed to bowl coming from the top fitting on the tank or from the bottom fitting?